Fairness und Kündigungen : eine theoretische und empirische Analyse (Fairness and layoffs * a theoretical and empirical analysis)
"There has been no study for Germany of how far and under what conditions layoffs are accepted by the population. Principles of distributive justice, rules of procedural justice, attribution theory and psychological contract theory form the framework of the analysis. Key findings are: Generous compensation payments are perceived to be fairer than transfers or wage cuts to avoid layoffs, though these options are in turn preferred to layoffs without measures to soften the blow of job loss. By actively involving the works council or by relinquishing their bonus payment, the management of a firm can increase the acceptance of layoffs. Layoffs of manual workers are perceived to be fairer than layoffs of graduates; layoffs of employees with general human capital are judged to be fairer than those of employees with firm-specific human capital. The acceptance of layoffs is not lower in Germany than in the USA." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
Volume (Year): 37 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/labor/journal/12651?detailsPage=subscription|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Konow, James, 1996.
"A positive theory of economic fairness,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 13-35, October.
- Kirstein, Roland & Kittner, Michael & Schmidtchen, Dieter, 2000. "Kündigungsschutzrecht in den USA und in Deutschland: ein Beitrag zur ökonomischen Rechtsvergleichung," CSLE Discussion Paper Series 2000-08, Saarland University, CSLE - Center for the Study of Law and Economics.
- M. Rabin, 2001.
"Incorporating Fairness into Game Theory and Economics,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
511, David K. Levine.
- Rabin, Matthew, 1993. "Incorporating Fairness into Game Theory and Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1281-1302, December.
- Matthew Rabin., 1992. "Incorporating Fairness into Game Theory and Economics," Economics Working Papers 92-199, University of California at Berkeley.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Knetsch, Jack L & Thaler, Richard, 1986. "Fairness as a Constraint on Profit Seeking: Entitlements in the Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 728-41, September.
- Charness, Gary B & Levine, David I. I., 2000.
"When Are Layoffs Acceptable? Evidence From A Quasi-Experiment,"
University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series
qt4vs7h4hh, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Gary Charness & David I. Levine, 2000. "When are Layoffs Acceptable? Evidence from a Quasi-Experiment," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(3), pages 381-400, April.
- Gary Charness & David I. Levine, 2000. "When are layoffs acceptable? Evidence from a quasi-experiment," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(3), pages 381-400, April.
- Gary Charness & David I. Levine, 1999. "When are layoffs acceptable? Evidence from a quasi-experiment," Economics Working Papers 369, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Konow, James, 2001. "Fair and square: the four sides of distributive justice," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 137-164, October.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Knetsch, Jack L & Thaler, Richard H, 1986. "Fairness and the Assumptions of Economics," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(4), pages S285-300, October.
- Akerlof, George A, 1982. "Labor Contracts as Partial Gift Exchange," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 97(4), pages 543-69, November.
- von Krogh, Georg & Kameny, Marla, 2002. "Leap Before You Layoff:: Look For Creative Alternatives," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 664-670, December.
- James Konow, 2003. "Which Is the Fairest One of All? A Positive Analysis of Justice Theories," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1188-1239, December.
- Rebecca M. Blank, 2002.
"Can Equity and Efficiency Complement Each Other?,"
NBER Working Papers
8820, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard B. Freeman & Edward P. Lazear, 1995.
"An Economic Analysis of Works Councils,"
in: Works Councils: Consultation, Representation, and Cooperation in Industrial Relations, pages 27-52
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fowke, G.K., 1998. "Layoffs and Survivors' Career Motivation," Papers 24, Queen's at Kingston - Sch. of Indus. Relat. Current Issues Series.
- Gorman, Raymond F & Kehr, James B, 1992. "Fairness as a Constraint on Profit Seeking: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 355-58, March.
- Daniel Kahneman, 2003. "Maps of Bounded Rationality: Psychology for Behavioral Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1449-1475, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabzaf:v:2004:i:2:p:127-145. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.