Anspruchslohn und Arbeitslosigkeit in Deutschland (Reservation wage and unemployment in Germany)
For the integration of unemployed persons into the first labour market, the reservation wage of the unemployed plays an important role. It is the wage level from which the unemployed person is prepared to accept a job offer. The paper examines the level and the determinants of reservation wages ascertained in the socio-economic panel (GSOEP 2000). Reservation wages in Germany are on average above wages before unemployment and very high in international comparison. It seems that unemployed take their last wage rate before unemployment as a guideline and reduce wage demands only slightly with longer unemployment. Unemployed people with low incomes before unemployment show a clearly higher relative reservation wage than unemployed people with a high former income - due to the small wage gap by the relatively high transfer incomes. Individual personal characteristics are most important, not macro-economic factors of influence. (IAB2)
Volume (Year): 36 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Devine, Theresa J. & Kiefer, Nicolas M., 1991. "Empirical Labor Economics: The Search Approach," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195059366, March.
- Enswar Prasad, 2001. "The Dynamics of Reservation Wages: Preliminary Evidence from the GSOEP," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 70(1), pages 44-50.
- McCall, John J, 1970. "Economics of Information and Job Search," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 113-26, February.
- Feldstein, Martin & Poterba, James, 1984.
"Unemployment insurance and reservation wages,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 141-167.
- Wolfgang Franz, 1980. "The Reservation Wage of Unemployed Persons in the Federal Republic of Germany: Theory and Empirical Tests," NBER Working Papers 0578, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hogan, V., 1999.
"The Determinants of the Reservation Wage,"
99/16, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Siebert, Horst, 2002. "Lohnsubventionen für den Niedriglohnbereich?," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2788, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Jones, S., 1989. "Alternative Implications Of A Structural Model Of Job Search," Papers 363, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Jones, Stephen R G, 1989. "Reservation Wages and the Cost of Unemployment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 56(222), pages 225-46, May.
- Jones, Stephen R G, 1989. "Job Research Methods, Intensity and Effects," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 51(3), pages 277-96, August.
- Viktor Steiner, 2003. "Reform der Arbeitslosen- und Sozialhilfe: ein Weg zu mehr Beschäftigung?," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 70(19), pages 309-315.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Schimmelpfennig, Axel, 1998. "Skill-biased technical change vs. structural change: Insights from a new view of the structure of an economy," Kiel Working Papers 868, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Lippman, Steven A & McCall, John J, 1976. "The Economics of Job Search: A Survey," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(3), pages 347-68, September.
- Lippman, Steven A & McCall, John J, 1976. "The Economics of Job Search: A Survey: Part I," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(2), pages 155-89, June.
- Dale T. Mortensen, 1977. "Unemployment insurance and job search decisions," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 30(4), pages 505-517, July.
- Hilmar Schneider & Olaf Fuchs, 2000. "Anreizwirkungen der Arbeitslosenunterstützung auf die Arbeitssuche," Wirtschaft im Wandel, Halle Institute for Economic Research, vol. 6(11), pages 312-317.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabmit:v:2003:i:4:p:573-598. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.