Ausbildungsinadäquate Erwerbstätigkeit: eine berufliche Sackgasse? : eine Analyse für jüngere Nicht-Akademiker in Westdeutschland (Employment below the level of qualification - an occupational impasse? : an analysis for younger non-graduates in western Germany)
"In the paper the length of time spent in employment below the level of qualification is analysed for the first time. Using an exponential hazard rate model the study looks at transitions from inadequate employment into activities which are suited to the qualification level. What is examined are the careers of western German non-graduates of the birth year cohorts 1964 and 1971 from the study on life courses conducted by the Max Planck Institute for Educational Research in Berlin. This data basis provides information in the form of monthly spell data about all career changes from the beginning of employment until the time of the survey in 1998. The empirical results substantiate a considerable extent of individual persistence of inadequate employment. However, the risk of remaining in inadequate employment is extremely heterogeneous. People in inadequate employment who have better human capital move up far more rapidly into activities that are suited to their qualifications than other people. For people with an inadequate school education and those who only have simple vocational training, employment which is inadequate for the level of qualification frequently constitutes an occupational impasse." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
Volume (Year): 35 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Regensburger Str. 104, D-90327 Nürnberg|
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edin, P.A. & Bergstrom, R., 1991.
"Time aggregation and the Distributional Shape of Unemployment Duration,"
1991u, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Bergstrom, R & Edin, P-A, 1992. "Time Aggregation and the Distributional Shape of Unemployment Duration," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(1), pages 5-30, Jan.-Marc.
- van Ours, J. C. & Ridder, G., 1995.
"Job matching and job competition: Are lower educated workers at the back of job queues?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1717-1731, December.
- van Ours, J.C. & Ridder, G., 1995. "Job matching and job competition : Are lower educated workers at the back of job queues?," Other publications TiSEM 2b08ab23-16f0-4f9a-9bdd-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Sicherman, Nachum, 1991.
""Overeducation" in the Labor Market,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(2), pages 101-122, April.
- Nachum Sicherman, 1987. "Over-Education in the Labor Market," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 48, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Addison, John T & Portugal, Pedro, 1987. "On the Distributional Shape of Unemployment Duration," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 521-526, August.
- Daly, Mary C. & Buchel, Felix & Duncan, Greg J., 2000. "Premiums and penalties for surplus and deficit education: Evidence from the United States and Germany," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 169-178, April.
- William R. Johnson, 1978. "A Theory of Job Shopping," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 92(2), pages 261-277.
- Sicherman, Nachum & Galor, Oded, 1990.
"A Theory of Career Mobility,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(1), pages 169-192, February.
- Oded Galor & Nachum Sicherman, 1988. "A Theory of Career Mobility," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 51, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Battu, H. & Belfield, C. R. & Sloane, P. J., "undated".
"Overeducation Among Graduates: A Cohort View,"
98-03, Department of Economics, University of Aberdeen.
- Groot, Wim & Maassen van den Brink, Henriette, 2000. "Overeducation in the labor market: a meta-analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 149-158, April.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-990, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabmit:v:2002:i:3:p:371-384. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.