The Positioned Construction of Water Values: Pluralism, Positionality and Praxis
Water values serve as an entry point into the intricacies of public policies and management approaches. Values are contingent assessments that emerge out of socio-ecological relations and reflect particular demands, legacies and opportunities. The concept of value positionality is introduced as the synthesis of multiple expressions of worthiness cherished by a social group. Positionality is a metaphor that connects the phenomenological understanding of water value with the politics of everyday life and the broader politico-institutional framework. It entails a cluster of meanings expressed through territorialised interactions across time, locations and scales. Positionalities converge or depart according to value praxis, that is, the clash of competing valuation approaches seeking legitimisation.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregory, Robin & Slovic, Paul, 1997. "A constructive approach to environmental valuation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 175-181, June.
- Jack L. Knetsch, 1994. "Environmental Valuation: Some Problems of Wrong Questions and Misleading Answers," Environmental Values, White Horse Press, vol. 3(4), pages 351-368, November.
- Casey, Edward S., 2003. "From space to place in contemporary health care," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 2245-2247, June.
- Sarah Fleisher Trainor, 2006. "Realms of Value: Conflicting Natural Resource Values and Incommensurability," Environmental Values, White Horse Press, vol. 15(1), pages 3-29, February.
- Kosoy, Nicolás & Corbera, Esteve, 2010. "Payments for ecosystem services as commodity fetishism," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(6), pages 1228-1236, April.
- Alberto Garrido, 2007. "Water markets design and evidence from experimental economics," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 38(3), pages 311-330, November.
- Ananda, Jayanath & Herath, Gamini, 2003. "Incorporating stakeholder values into regional forest planning: a value function approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 75-90, April.
- W.F. Butler & T.G. Acott, 2007. "An Inquiry Concerning the Acceptance of Intrinsic Value Theories of Nature," Environmental Values, White Horse Press, vol. 16(2), pages 149-168, May.
- Scruggs, Lyle A., 1998. "Political and economic inequality and the environment," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 259-275, September.
- Ali Douai, 2009. "Value Theory in Ecological Economics: The Contribution of a Political Economy of Wealth," Environmental Values, White Horse Press, vol. 18(3), pages 257-284, August.
- John O'Neill & Clive L. Spash, 2000. "Conceptions of Value in Environmental Decision-Making," Environmental Values, White Horse Press, vol. 9(4), pages 521-536, November.
- Brennan, Teresa, 1997. "Economy for the Earth: The labour theory of value without the subject/object distinction," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 175-185, February.
- Joan Hoffman, 2005. "Economic Stratification and Environmental Management: A Case Study of the New York City Catskill/Delaware Watershed," Environmental Values, White Horse Press, vol. 14(4), pages 447-470, November.
- Turner, R. Kerry & Paavola, Jouni & Cooper, Philip & Farber, Stephen & Jessamy, Valma & Georgiou, Stavros, 2003. "Valuing nature: lessons learned and future research directions," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 493-510, October.
- I. Heinz & M. Pulido-Velazquez & J. Lund & J. Andreu, 2007. "Hydro-economic Modeling in River Basin Management: Implications and Applications for the European Water Framework Directive," Water Resources Management, Springer, vol. 21(7), pages 1103-1125, July.
- Dan Rigby & Francisco Alcon & Michael Burton, 2010. "Supply uncertainty and the economic value of irrigation water," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 37(1), pages 97-117, March.
- Nicole Stuart, 2007. "Technology and Epistemology: Environmental Mentalities and Urban Water Usage," Environmental Values, White Horse Press, vol. 16(4), pages 417-431, November.
- Ted Benton, 2008. "Environmental Values and Human Purposes," Environmental Values, White Horse Press, vol. 17(2), pages 201-220, May.
- Rhodante Ahlers, 2010. "Fixing and Nixing: The Politics of Water Privatization," Review of Radical Political Economics, Union for Radical Political Economics, vol. 42(2), pages 213-230, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:env:journl:ev21:ev2108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrew Johnson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.