Corporate social responsibility, firm value and financial performance in Brazil
Purpose – The purpose of the paper is to examine the relationship between corporate social responsibility (CSR) and firm performance, taking into account firm value and financial accounting performance, in an emerging market – Brazil. Design/methodology/approach – Content analysis was conducted to extract data from two different sources, one relative to CSR data and another that provided financial data. CSR indexes and financial performance measures were calculated to allow the estimation of regression analysis conducted to examine the relationship between CSR and performance. Findings – The results indicate that CSR is value destroying in Brazil since a significant negative correlation between CSR and firm value was found. Additionally, a neutral relationship characterises the mutual effect between CSR and financial accounting performance. Originality/value – The study has examined the relationship between CSR and firm performance in a country where, as in most other non-developed markets, such a relationship has not been an object of research. Besides, the use of a three dimensional measure of CSR, mainly considering research undertaken in an emerging market, as a valuable contribution may be observed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 7 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/srj.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baron, David P. & Harjoto, Maretno A. & Jo, Hoje, 2009. "The Economics and Politics of Corporate Social Performance," Research Papers 1993r, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Scholtens, Bert, 2008. "A note on the interaction between corporate social responsibility and financial performance," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1-2), pages 46-55, December.
- Belaid Rettab & Anis Brik & Kamel Mellahi, 2009. "A Study of Management Perceptions of the Impact of Corporate Social Responsibility on Organisational Performance in Emerging Economies: The Case of Dubai," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 89(3), pages 371-390, October.
- Cochran, Philip L., 2007. "The evolution of corporate social responsibility," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 449-454.
- FÃƒÂ©lix J. LÃƒÂ³pez Iturriaga & Vicente Lima CrisÃƒÂ³stomo, 2010. "Do Leverage, Dividend Payout, and Ownership Concentration Influence Firms' Value Creation? An Analysis of Brazilian Firms," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 46(3), pages 80-94, May.
- Maury, Benjamin & Pajuste, Anete, 2005. "Multiple large shareholders and firm value," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1813-1834, July.
- Abagail McWilliams & Donald S. Siegel & Patrick M. Wright, 2005.
"Corporate Social Responsibility: Strategic Implications,"
Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics
0506, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Abagail McWilliams & Donald S. Siegel & Patrick M. Wright, 2006. "Corporate Social Responsibility: Strategic Implications," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 1-18, 01.
- Glen Dowell & Stuart Hart & Bernard Yeung, 2000. "Do Corporate Global Environmental Standards Create or Destroy Market Value?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(8), pages 1059-1074, August.
- Roshima Said & Yuserrie Hj Zainuddin & Hasnah Haron, 2009. "The relationship between corporate social responsibility disclosure and corporate governance characteristics in Malaysian public listed companies," Social Responsibility Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(2), pages 212-226, June.
- Pablo Archel & Javier Husillos & Carlos Larrinaga & Crawford Spence, 2009. "Social disclosure, legitimacy theory and the role of the state," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 22(8), pages 1284-1307, November.
- Md Habib-Uz-Zaman Khan & Abdel K. Halabi & Martin Samy, 2009. "Corporate social responsibility (CSR) reporting: a study of selected banking companies in Bangladesh," Social Responsibility Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(3), pages 344-357, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:srjpps:v:6:y:2010:i:2:p:295-309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katie Frudd)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.