Country risk and valuation of US-listed foreign IPOs
Purpose – Many foreign firms have made their initial public offering (IPO) debuts in the USA, without first being listed in their home market. The purpose of this paper is to investigate the association of a wide range of country risk measures with the valuation of foreign IPOs. Design/methodology/approach – Based on the law and finance literature, it is hypothesized that IPO firms domiciled in countries with higher country risk are worth less, other things equal. This hypothesis is tested with a sample of international companies making their IPO debuts in the USA between 1986 and 2002. Findings – It is found that several commonly used country-level variables explain the observed IPO valuation differences across countries. In particular, the index of economic freedom, developed by the Heritage Foundation, and the Transparency International's corruption index have a significant impact on post-offer IPO valuations. Specifically, IPO firms hailing from countries with more economic freedom and less corruption are associated with higher valuation in the aftermarket. Originality/value – The paper investigates whether some commonly-used country risk measures affect the valuation of newly US-listed foreign firms.
Volume (Year): 38 (2012)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=mf Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. Andrew Karolyi, 2006.
"The World of Cross-Listings and Cross-Listings of the World: Challenging Conventional Wisdom,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 10(1), pages 99-152.
- Karolyi, G. Andrew, 2004. "The World of Cross-Listings and Cross-Listings of the World: Challenging Conventional Wisdom," Working Paper Series 2004-14, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Djankov, Simeon & La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2008.
"The law and economics of self-dealing,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 430-465, June.
- Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Djankov, Simeon & La Porta, Rafael & Shleifer, Andrei, 2008. "The Law and Economics of Self-dealing," Scholarly Articles 2907526, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Simeon Djankov & Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2005. "The Law and Economics of Self-Dealing," NBER Working Papers 11883, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wu, Congsheng & Kwok, Chuck C. Y., 2003. "The pricing of global and domestic initial public offerings by US companies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1167-1184, June.
- Francis, Bill B. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Lothian, James R. & Sun, Xian, 2008.
"The signalling hypothesis revisited : evidence from foreign IPOs,"
Research Discussion Papers
10/2008, Bank of Finland.
- Francis, Bill B. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Lothian, James R. & Sun, Xian, 2010. "The Signaling Hypothesis Revisited: Evidence from Foreign IPOs," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(01), pages 81-106, February.
- Francis, Bill B & Hasan, Iftekhar & Lothian, James R & Sun, Xian, 2008. "The signalling hypothesis revisited: Evidence from foreign IPOs," Research Discussion Papers 10/2008, Bank of Finland.
- Stephen R. Foerster & G. Andrew Karolyi, 1999. "The Effects of Market Segmentation and Investor Recognition on Asset Prices: Evidence from Foreign Stocks Listing in the United States," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 981-1013, 06.
- Haan, Jakob de & Sturm, Jan-Egbert, 1999.
"On the relationship between economic freedom and economic growth,"
CCSO Working Papers
199903, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- de Haan, Jakob & Sturm, Jan-Egbert, 2000. "On the relationship between economic freedom and economic growth," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 215-241, June.
- Merton, Robert C, 1987.
" A Simple Model of Capital Market Equilibrium with Incomplete Information,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 483-510, July.
- Merton, Robert C., 1987. "A simple model of capital market equilibrium with incomplete information," Working papers 1869-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Bruner, Robert & Chaplinsky, Susan & Ramchand, Latha, 2006. "Coming to America: IPOs from emerging market issuers," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 191-212, September.
- Ding, Yuan & Nowak, Eric & Zhang, Hua, 2010. "Foreign vs. domestic listing: An entrepreneurial decision," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 175-191, March.
- Reese, William Jr. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2002.
"Protection of minority shareholder interests, cross-listings in the United States, and subsequent equity offerings,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 65-104, October.
- William A. Reese, Jr. & Michael S. Weisbach, 2001. "Protection of Minority Shareholder Interests, Cross-listings in the United States, and Subsequent Equity Offerings," NBER Working Papers 8164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajesh Aggarwal & Sanjai Bhagat & Srinivasan Rangan, 2009. "The Impact of Fundamentals on IPO Valuation," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 38(2), pages 253-284, 06.
- Congsheng Wu, 2011. "Economic Freedom, Economic Growth, and China," Chinese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(5), pages 104-119, September.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Robert Bruner & Susan Chaplinsky & Latha Ramchand, 2004. "US-Bound IPOs: Issue Costs and Selective Entry," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 33(3), Fall.
- Blass, Asher & Yafeh, Yishay, 2001. "Vagabond shoes longing to stray: Why foreign firms list in the United States," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 555-572, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:mfipps:v:38:y:2012:i:10:p:939-957. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.