A brief history and recent developments in day-of-the-week effect literature
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to provide a brief review of pre-2003 work on the weekend effect and then discuss how recent selected work has extended our knowledge of the subject. Design/methodology/approach – Results of recently published studies are organized and summarized by research question and outcomes. Findings – While early literature found a fairly consistent weekend effect, with positive returns on Fridays and negative returns on Mondays, more recent research shows the effect moving to other days, reversing or vanishing. Research limitations/implications – While it is difficult to compare studies made across different time periods, the direction of present research gives insight into how markets are adjusting to the weekend effect anomaly. Practical implications – Investors may find it very hard to adequately identify a trading strategy based on current research. = Originality/value – This work conveniently synthesizes and presents current research findings from a variety of published sources.
Volume (Year): 37 (2011)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=mf Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benjamin M. Blau & Bonnie F. Van Ness & Robert A. Van Ness, 2009. "Short Selling and the Weekend Effect for NYSE Securities," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 38(3), pages 603-630, 09.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Hess, Patrick, 1981. "Day of the Week Effects and Asset Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 579-96, October.
- Josef Lakonishok, Seymour Smidt, 1988. "Are Seasonal Anomalies Real? A Ninety-Year Perspective," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(4), pages 403-425.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Jones, Travis L. & Ligon, James A., 2009. "The day of the week effect in IPO initial returns," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 110-127, February.
- Syed A. Basher & Perry Sadorsky, 2004.
"Day-of-the-week effects in emerging stock markets,"
- Stephen E. Christophe & Michael G. Ferri & James J. Angel, 2009. "Short Selling and the Weekend Effect in Nasdaq Stock Returns," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 31-57, 02.
- Ariel, Robert A., 1987. "A monthly effect in stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 161-174, March.
- Rozeff, Michael S. & Kinney, William Jr., 1976. "Capital market seasonality: The case of stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 379-402, October.
- Janie Casello Bouges & Ravi Jain & Yash Puri, 2009. "American depository receipts and calendar anomalies," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 17-25.
- Jeffrey Jaffe & R. Westerfield, . "The Week-End Effect in Common Stock Returns: The International Evidence," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 03-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- French, Kenneth R., 1980. "Stock returns and the weekend effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 55-69, March.
- Jeffrey Jaffe & R. Westerfield, . "The Week-End Effect in Common Stock Returns: The International Evidence," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 3-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Jaffe, Jeffrey F & Westerfield, Randolph, 1985. " The Week-End Effect in Common Stock Returns: The International Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(2), pages 433-54, June.
- Galai, Dan & Kedar-Levy, Haim & Schreiber, Ben Z., 2008. "Seasonality in outliers of daily stock returns: A tail that wags the dog?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 784-792, December.
- Stephen Keef & Melvin Roush, 2005. "Day-of-the-week effects in the pre-holiday returns of the Standard & Poor's 500 stock index," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 107-119.
- Nippani, Srinivas & Pennathur, Anita K., 2004. "Day-of-the-week effects in commercial paper yield rates," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 508-520, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:mfipps:v:37:y:2011:i:9:p:808-816. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.