Corporate failure prediction: a study of public listed companies in Malaysia
Purpose - The objective of this paper is to develop a model that can predict financial distress amongst public listed companies in Malaysia using the logistic regression analysis. Design/methodology/approach - The logistic regression analysis used in this paper is geared towards developing a model that can predict financial distress amongst public listed companies in Malaysia. Findings - The results prove that five financial ratios have been found to be significant and useful for corporate failure prediction in Malaysia. The overall predictive accuracy is 91.5 percent and this demonstrates that the logistic regression analysis used is a reliable technique for financial distress prediction. In addition, the predictive accuracy of the model in this paper is higher than that of previous studies, which utilised discriminant analysis rather than the method adopted in this research. Originality/value - The economic crisis mostly began to affect Malaysia's economic standing in July 1997 causing many companies to fall into financial distress, as they were unable to cope with the unexpected downturn. A financial distress prediction model is therefore required to act as a predictor of Malaysian public listed companies' well-being prior to a financial crisis and to gauge the warning signals of the onset of a downturn in order to strategize their survival techniques during this phase. This study focuses on public listed companies in Malaysia, thus the model adopted is tailored to suit the given context.
Volume (Year): 37 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=mf Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grice, John Stephen & Dugan, Michael T, 2001. "The Limitations of Bankruptcy Prediction Models: Some Cautions for the Researcher," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 151-166, September.
- Izan, H. Y., 1984. "Corporate distress in Australia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 303-320, June.
- repec:bla:joares:v:10:y:1972:i:1:p:167-179 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andreas Charitou & Evi Neophytou & Chris Charalambous, 2004. "Predicting corporate failure: empirical evidence for the UK," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 465-497.
- Edmister, Robert O., 1972. "An Empirical Test of Financial Ratio Analysis for Small Business Failure Prediction," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 1477-1493, March.
- Li-Chiu Chi & Tseng-Chung Tang, 2006. "Bankruptcy Prediction: Application of Logit Analysis in Export Credit Risks," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 31(1), pages 17-27, June.
- Bongini, Paola & Ferri, Giovanni & Hahm, Hongjoo, 2000. "Corporate Bankruptcy in Korea: Only the Strong Survive?," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 35(4), pages 31-50, November.
- Laitinen, Erkki K. & Laitinen, Teija, 2000. "Bankruptcy prediction: Application of the Taylor's expansion in logistic regression," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 327-349.
- repec:bla:joares:v:18:y:1980:i:1:p:109-131 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:bla:joares:v:22:y:1984:i::p:59-82 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eisenbeis, Robert A, 1977. "Pitfalls in the Application of Discriminant Analysis in Business, Finance, and Economics," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(3), pages 875-900, June.
- Young-Won Her & Chongwoo Choe, 1999.
"A Comparative Study of Australian and Korean Accounting Data in Business Failure Prediction Models,"
1999.07, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Young-Won Her & Chongwoo Choe, 1999. "A Comparative Study of Australian and Korean Accounting Data in Business Failure Prediction Models," Working Papers 1999.07, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- repec:bla:joares:v:4:y:1966:i::p:71-111 is not listed on IDEAS
- Altman, Edward I. & Haldeman, Robert G. & Narayanan, P., 1977. "ZETATM analysis A new model to identify bankruptcy risk of corporations," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 29-54, June.
- Westgaard, Sjur & van der Wijst, Nico, 2001. "Default probabilities in a corporate bank portfolio: A logistic model approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 338-349, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:mfipps:v:37:y:2011:i:6:p:553-564. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.