Total factor productivity change of Greek cooperative banks
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to investigate the total factor productivity (TFP) change in the Greek cooperative banking industry over the period 2000-2005. Design/methodology/approach – The paper employs the Malmquist index and estimate two models, one based on the intermediation approach, and one based on the production approach. TFP change is disaggregated into technical efficiency change and technological change, whereas technical efficiency change is decomposed further into pure technical efficiency change and scale efficiency change. Findings – The results are mixed. The first model indicates a small decrease (3 per cent) in TFP whereas the second model indicates an increase by 6.6 per cent. Comparing the results on the basis of banks' size finds that TFP growth is higher for smaller banks on average over the entire period of our analysis. However, this relationship between size and productivity is not robust across the years. Furthermore, the differences between the groups are not statistically significant. Practical implications – The results can be of special interest to several stakeholders such as customers-members, bank managers, local community, and of course bank regulators. Originality/value – This paper is believed to be the first that examines the productivity growth of Greek cooperative banks.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 36 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=mf Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berg, Sigbjorn Atle & Forsund, Finn R & Jansen, Eilev S, 1992. " Malmquist Indices of Productivity Growth during the Deregulation of Norwegian Banking, 1980-89," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S211-28, Supplemen.
- Ray, Subhash C & Desli, Evangelia, 1997. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1033-39, December.
- Victor Mendes & Joao Rebelo, 1999. "Productive efficiency, technological change and productivity in Portuguese banking," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(5), pages 513-521.
- Worthington, Andrew C., 1999. "Malmquist indices of productivity change in Australian financial services," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 303-320, August.
- Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G. & Thanassoulis, E., 1991. "Applied data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-15, May.
- Isik, Ihsan & Kabir Hassan, M., 2003. "Financial deregulation and total factor productivity change: An empirical study of Turkish commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1455-1485, August.
- Leigh Drake, 2001. "Efficiency and productivity change in UK banking," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 557-571.
- Anthony N. Rezitis, 2006. "Productivity growth in the Greek banking industry: A non-parametric approach," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 119-138, May.
- Lang, Gunter & Welzel, Peter, 1996. "Efficiency and technical progress in banking Empirical results for a panel of German cooperative banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1003-1023, July.
- Chu, Sing Fat & Lim, Guan Hua, 1998. "Share performance and profit efficiency of banks in an oligopolistic market: evidence from Singapore," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(2-3), pages 155-168, September.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Koetter, Michael & Wedow, Michael, 2007. "The quality of banking and regional growth," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2007,10, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Penny Neal, 2004. "X-Efficiency and Productivity Change in Australian Banking," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 174-191, 06.
- Barbara Casu & Claudia Girardone, 2005.
"An analysis of the relevance of off-balance sheet items in explaining productivity change in European banking,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(15), pages 1053-1061.
- Barbara Casu & Claudia Girardone, 2004. "An Analysis of the Relevance of Off-Balance Sheet Items in Explaining Productivity Change in European Banking," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 37, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Bauer, Paul W. & Berger, Allen N. & Ferrier, Gary D. & Humphrey, David B., 1998.
"Consistency Conditions for Regulatory Analysis of Financial Institutions: A Comparison of Frontier Efficiency Methods,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 85-114, March.
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & Gary D. Ferrier & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Consistency conditions for regulatory analysis of financial institutions: a comparison of frontier efficiency methods," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-50, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & Gary D. Ferrier & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Consistency conditions for regulatory analysis of financial institutions: a comparison of frontier efficiency methods," Financial Services working paper 97-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Fotios Pasiouras & Aggeliki Liadaki & Constantin Zopounidis, 2008. "Bank efficiency and share performance: evidence from Greece," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(14), pages 1121-1130.
- Barbara Casu & Claudia Girardone, 2004. "Financial conglomeration: efficiency, productivity and strategic drive," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(10), pages 687-696.
- Park, Kang H. & Weber, William L., 2006. "A note on efficiency and productivity growth in the Korean Banking Industry, 1992-2002," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 2371-2386, August.
- Halkos, George & Salamouris, Dimitrios, 2001. "Efficiency Measures of the Greek Banking Sector: A Non-Parametric Approach for the Period 1997-1999," MPRA Paper 2858, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pasiouras, Fotios, 2008. "Estimating the technical and scale efficiency of Greek commercial banks: The impact of credit risk, off-balance sheet activities, and international operations," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 301-318, September.
- Casu, Barbara & Girardone, Claudia & Molyneux, Philip, 2004. "Productivity change in European banking: A comparison of parametric and non-parametric approaches," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2521-2540, October.
- Don U.A. Galagedera & Piyadasa Edirisuriya, 2004. "Performance of Indian commercial banks (1995-2002): an application of data envelopment analysis and Malmquist productivity index," Finance 0408006, EconWPA.
- Iannotta, Giuliano & Nocera, Giacomo & Sironi, Andrea, 2007. "Ownership structure, risk and performance in the European banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2127-2149, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:mfipps:v:36:y:2010:i:4:p:337-353. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.