The determinants of brand equity: The case of Greek quoted firms
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to determine the variables of brand equity measurement for Greek companies quoted in the Greek exchange stock market. Design/methodology/approach – The measurement of brand equity has been a hot issue both for marketing and financial practitioners. Different attempts to measure brand equity have been made by both sides. The present study, by the use of Tobin's Q methodology, tries to measure brand equity for Greek firms in the stock market. The present study tries to adopt both a methodology related to marketing and financial literature. Findings – Tobin's q can be a measure of brand equity for firms in the stock market. The variables which need to be examined are related to research and development but also to financial and marketing activities. Originality/value – Simone and Sallivan tried to measure brand equity throughout Tobin's q. The present paper is an international attempt to measure brand equity thorough Tobin's q in Greece. Another attempt related to Simon and Sallivan's research had never been done, either in marketing or financial literature.
Volume (Year): 36 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=mf Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carol J. Simon & Mary W. Sullivan, 1993. "The Measurement and Determinants of Brand Equity: A Financial Approach," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(1), pages 28-52.
- Lindenberg, Eric B & Ross, Stephen A, 1981. "Tobin's q Ratio and Industrial Organization," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(1), pages 1-32, January.
- Shantanu Dutta & Om Narasimhan & Surendra Rajiv, 1999. "Success in High-Technology Markets: Is Marketing Capability Critical?," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(4), pages 547-568.
- Hirsch, Barry T, 1991. "Union Coverage and Profitability among U.S. Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 69-77, February.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:mfipps:v:36:y:2010:i:3:p:225-233. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.