Key accounting value drivers that affect stock returns: evidence from Greece
Purpose – This paper seeks to investigate the accounting factors that affect the value of a firm. Design/methodology/approach – Cross-sectional analysis is employed to investigate the association between critical accounting ratios and stock returns. Findings – This study finds that the operating performance of a company, its growth opportunities and its capability to generate profits from its sales affect stock returns. Practical implications – This study provides insights regarding the extent that policies concerning operating, investment and working capital management affect stock returns. The findings of this study can be helpful to managers for selecting and implementing the appropriate business policies. Besides, current shareholders and investors may find the results of this study useful in identifying the drivers of stock values. Originality/value – The paper tests, empirically, the effect of the key value drivers on stock returns in a developing stock exchange.
Volume (Year): 36 (2010)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=mf Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kothari, S. P., 2001. "Capital markets research in accounting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 105-231, September.
- Bhattacharya, Utpal & Daouk, Hazem & Welker, Michael, 2003. "The World Price of Earnings Opacity," Working Papers 127185, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Isabelle Huault & V. Perret & S. Charreire-Petit, 2007. "Management," Post-Print halshs-00337676, HAL.
- Waller, William S. & Shapiro, Brian & Sevcik, Galen, 1999. "Do cost-based pricing biases persist in laboratory markets?," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 24(8), pages 717-739, November.
- Leuz, Christian & Nanda, Dhananjay & Wysocki, Peter D., 2003. "Earnings management and investor protection: an international comparison," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 505-527, September.
- Nathan, Kevin, 1988. "Do firms pay to pool?: Some empirical evidence," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 185-200.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:mfipps:v:36:y:2010:i:11:p:903-916. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.