Shareholder activism in family-controlled firms in Malaysia
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to investigate the impact of shareholder activism led by the Minority Shareholder Watchdog Group (MSWG) on the performance of family-controlled firms in Malaysia from 2005 to 2009. Design/methodology/approach – The paper uses event study methodology to calculate abnormal returns for the sample and control firms. Findings – The paper finds significant positive cumulative abnormal returns of at least 0.5 percent for the targeted family firms, during the event window of [-1, 0] and [0, +1], as a result of MSWG engagement. There is a significant positive cumulative abnormal return of 1 percent for the firms where family control is less than the threshold level of 33 percent. It is interesting to note that MSWG engagements do not have consistent positive impact on the abnormal returns over the years. There are significant differences between the performance of MSWG targeted family-controlled firms and non-targeted family-controlled firms after one year of MSWG intervention. Research limitations/implications – The results show that MSWG-led shareholder activism does have an effect on the share returns of the family-controlled firms. These results imply that family-controlled firms agree with the MSWG on those matters that improve the bottom-line results. Originality/value – The authors argue that this is the first study to examine MSWG engagements with family-controlled firms in Malaysia.
Volume (Year): 27 (2012)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=maj Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gillan, Stuart L. & Starks, Laura T., 2000. "Corporate governance proposals and shareholder activism: the role of institutional investors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 275-305, August.
- Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon & Lang, Larry H. P., 2000. "The separation of ownership and control in East Asian Corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 81-112.
- Lex Donaldson & James H. Davis, 1991. "Stewardship Theory or Agency Theory: CEO Governance and Shareholder Returns," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 16(1), pages 49-64, June.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M. & Malatesta, Paul H. & Walkling, Ralph A., 1996. "Corporate governance and shareholder initiatives: Empirical evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 365-395, November.
- April Klein & Emanuel Zur, 2009. "Entrepreneurial Shareholder Activism: Hedge Funds and Other Private Investors," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(1), pages 187-229, 02.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995.
"A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-De-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1999.
"Corporate Ownership Around the World,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 54(2), pages 471-517, 04.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Corporate Ownership Around the World," NBER Working Papers 6625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Corporate Ownership Around the World," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1840, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- J. Dahya & A.A. Lonie & D.M. Power, 1996. "The Case for Separating the Roles of Chairman and CEO: An Analysis of Stock Market and Accounting Data," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(2), pages 71-77, 04.
- Timothy A. Kruse, 2007. "Minority Expropriation and Shareholder Activism Following Olivetti's Hostile Takeover of Telecom Italia," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 133-143, 03.
- Emma Sjöström, 2008. "Shareholder activism for corporate social responsibility: what do we know?," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 141-154.
- Kose John & April Klein, 1995. "Shareholder Proposals and Corporate Governance," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-046, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Zingales, Luigi, 1994. "The Value of the Voting Right: A Study of the Milan Stock Exchange Experience," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(1), pages 125-48.
- Stuart L. Gillan & Laura T. Starks, 2007. "The Evolution of Shareholder Activism in the United States," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 19(1), pages 55-73.
- Kohlbeck, Mark & Mayhew, Brian W., 2010. "Valuation of firms that disclose related party transactions," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 115-137, March.
- Beni Lauterbach & Alexander Vaninsky, 1999. "Ownership Structure and Firm Performance: Evidence from Israel," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 189-201, June.
- Mohd Hassan Che Haat & Rashidah Abdul Rahman & Sakthi Mahenthiran, 2008. "Corporate governance, transparency and performance of Malaysian companies," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 23(8), pages 744-778, September.
- Emanuele Bajo & Barbara Petracci, 2006. "Do what insiders do: Abnormal performances after the release of insiders' relevant transactions," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 23(2), pages 94-118, June.
- Rashid Ameer & Rashidah Abdul Rahman, 2009. "The Impact of Minority Shareholder Watchdog Group Activism on the Targeted Firms' Performance in Malaysia," Asian Academy of Management Journal of Accounting and Finance, Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia, vol. 5(1), pages 67-92.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:majpps:v:27:y:2012:i:8:p:774-794. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.