Asymmetric rotation of risk factors in a global portfolio
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to examine the asymmetric dynamic rotation of beta coefficients to global investment style factor shocks in the Morgan Stanley Capital International (MSCI) universe of assets and its implications for investment management. Design/methodology/approach – The paper uses an asymmetric extension of the Christodoulakis and Satchell approach of time varying beta coefficients. Findings – Evidence suggests that positive (negative) style factor shocks tend to be associated more with increases (decreases) in beta coefficients rather than the reverse. Research limitations/implications – There is a need to examine other forms of beta rotation and the degree of common persistence and empirical applications to investment management and portfolio performance attribution. Practical implications – Forecast the evolution of beta. Persistent positive or negative shocks could spark rotating investment exposures, particularly relevant during turbulent periods in which asset managers may engage onto tactical asset allocation strategies. Originality/value – The paper explores the asymmetric rotation of style factors in the MSCI universe of assets. The results can be used in applied investment management involving dynamic asset allocation strategies.
Volume (Year): 9 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=jrf Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steve Satchell & George Christodoulakis, 2002. "On th Evolution of Global Style Factors in the MSCI Universe of Assets," Working Papers wp02-07, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Ravinder K. Bhardwaj & LeRoy D. Brooks, 1993. "Dual Betas From Bull And Bear Markets: Reversal Of The Size Effect," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 16(4), pages 269-283, December.
- Collins, Daniel W & Ledolter, Johannes & Rayburn, Judy Dawson, 1987. "Some Further Evidence on the Stochastic Properties of Systematic Risk," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(3), pages 425-48, July.
- Anthony Hall & Soosung Hwang & Stephen E. Satchell, 2000.
"Using Bayesian Variable Selection Methods to Choose Style Factors in Global Stock Return Models,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1213, Econometric Society.
- Hall, Anthony D. & Hwang, Soosung & Satchell, Stephen E., 2002. "Using Bayesian variable selection methods to choose style factors in global stock return models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(12), pages 2301-2325.
- Stephen Satchell & Soosung Hwang & Anthony Hall, 1999. "Using Bayesian Variable Selection Methods to Choose Style Factors in Global Stock Return Models," Working Papers wp99-01, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Schwert, G William & Seguin, Paul J, 1990.
" Heteroskedasticity in Stock Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1129-55, September.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- Lehmann, Bruce N. & Modest, David M., 1988. "The empirical foundations of the arbitrage pricing theory," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 213-254, September.
- Ferson, Wayne E & Harvey, Campbell R, 1993. "The Risk and Predictability of International Equity Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(3), pages 527-66.
- Bhardwaj, Ravinder K & Brooks, LeRoy D, 1993. "Dual Betas from Bull and Bear Markets: Reversal of the Size Effect," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 16(4), pages 269-83, Winter.
- Huberman, Gur & Kandel, Shmuel & Stambaugh, Robert F, 1987. " Mimicking Portfolios and Exact Arbitrage Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 1-9, March.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Riccardo Bramante & Giampaolo Gabbi, 2006. "Portfolio optimisation under changing risk via time-varying beta," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(4), pages 337-346.
- Anthony D. Hall & S. Hwang & Steve Satchell, 2000. "Using Bayesian Variable Selection Methods to Choose Style Factors in Global Stock Return," Research Paper Series 31, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Chan, K C, 1988. "On the Contrarian Investment Strategy," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(2), pages 147-63, April.
- Blume, Marshall E, 1975. "Betas and Their Regression Tendencies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 785-95, June.
- Koutmos, Gregory & Lee, Unro & Theodossiu, Panayiotis, 1994. "Time-varying betas and volatility persistence in International Stock markets," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 101-112, May.
- Young-Hye Cho & Robert F. Engle, 1999. "Time-Varying Betas and Asymmetric Effect of News: Empirical Analysis of Blue Chip Stocks," NBER Working Papers 7330, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ball, Ray & Kothari, S. P., 1989. "Nonstationary expected returns : Implications for tests of market efficiency and serial correlation in returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 51-74, November.
- Ferson, Wayne E & Korajczyk, Robert A, 1995. "Do Arbitrage Pricing Models Explain the Predictability of Stock Returns?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 309-49, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:jrfpps:v:9:y:2008:i:4:p:391-403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.