The subprime crisis and Islamic stock markets integration
Purpose - The purpose of this paper is to examine the effects of the current global crisis on the integration and co-movements of selected Islamic stock markets. Design/methodology/approach - Time series techniques of cointegration were used over the period spanning from February 15, 2006 to December 31, 2008. In order to explore changes in the stock market integration and co-movement, following Majid and Kassim, we divide the period of analysis into two periods, namely the pre-crisis period (February 15, 2006-July 25, 2007) and during crisis period (July 26, 2007-December 31, 2008). Findings - No evidence was found of cointegration among the Islamic stock markets in both periods. Accordingly, the 2007 subprime crisis does not seem to affect the long-run co-movements among the Islamic stock markets. Practical implications - The Islamic stock markets provide opportunity for the potential benefits from international portfolio diversification, even after the subprime crisis. The prohibition of Originality/value - Using the Islamic stock indices, to the best of the authors' knowledge, goes clearly beyond the existing literature on the subject matter.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 3 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=imefm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sudin Wan Nursofiza Wan Azmi, 2008. "Determinants of Islamic and conventional deposits in the Malaysian banking system," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(9), pages 618-643, August.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Michael Mussa & Morris Goldstein, 1993.
"The integration of world capital markets,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 245-330.
- Morris Goldstein & Michael Mussa, 1993. "The Integration of World Capital Markets," IMF Working Papers 93/95, International Monetary Fund.
- Masih, Abul M. M. & Masih, Rumi, 1999. "Are Asian stock market fluctuations due mainly to intra-regional contagion effects? Evidence based on Asian emerging stock markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 251-282, August.
- M. Shabri Abd. Majid & Ahamed Kameel Mydin Meera & Mohd. Azmi Omar, 2008. "Interdependence of ASEAN-5 Stock Markets from the US and Japan," Global Economic Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 201-225.
- Hwahsin Cheng & John L. Glascock, 2006. "Stock Market Linkages Before and After the Asian Financial Crisis: Evidence from Three Greater China Economic Area Stock Markets and the US," Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(02), pages 297-315.
- Gonzalo, Jesus, 1994. "Five alternative methods of estimating long-run equilibrium relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 203-233.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- W. N. W. Azman-Saini & M. Azali & M. S. Habibullah & K. G. Matthews, 2002. "Financial integration and the ASEAN-5 equity markets," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(18), pages 2283-2288. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:imefpp:v:3:y:2010:i:4:p:363-371. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.