Impact of microfinance of IBBL on the rural poor's livelihood in Bangladesh: an empirical study
Purpose – This paper describes a scheme which aims to alleviate rural poverty by providing small and microinvestment to the agricultural and rural sector for generating employment and to raise the income of the rural poor. Design/methodology/approach – To assess the impact of rural development schemes on rural poor's livelihood, primary data were collected from 1,020 clients working across the country. Multistage random sampling method was followed to select the clients. Tabular, graphical, and econometrical methods were followed to analyze the data. Findings – Results show that household income, productivity of crops and livestock, expenditure, and employment had increased significantly due to the influence of invested money. Results of the Logit-model showed that clients' socio-economic factors like age, number of family members in farming, total land size and clients' ethics and morals had a positive and significant influence on household income. Practical implications – Client's opined that the microinvestment program had provided them with the opportunity to perform their economic activities in a more organized way, leading them to the higher quality of life and also develops their awareness towards health care, proper sanitation, and drinking safe water. Originality/value – The paper recommends the replication of this program in other rural areas of the country with the increment of investment size, demand-led effective training on different income generating activities and monitoring on more shariah compliance of the investment mode.
Volume (Year): 3 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=imefm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Mushtaque R. Chowdhury & Abbas Bhuiya, 2004. "The wider impacts of BRAC poverty alleviation programme in Bangladesh," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 369-386.
- Amin, Sajeda & Rai, Ashok S. & Topa, Giorgio, 2003.
"Does microcredit reach the poor and vulnerable? Evidence from northern Bangladesh,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 59-82, February.
- Sajeda Amin & Ashok S. Rai & Giorgio Topa, 1999. "Does Microcredit Reach the Poor and Vulnerable? Evidence from Northern Bangladesh," CID Working Papers 28, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Amin, S. & Rai, A.S. & Topa, G., 2000. "Does Microcredit Reach the Poor and Vulnerable? Evidence from Nothern Bangladesh," Papers 28, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Amin, S. & Rai, A.S. & Topa, G., 1999. "Does Microcredit Reach the Poor and Vulnerable? Evidence from Northern Bangldesh," Working Papers 99-06, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Pitt, M.M. & Khandker, S.R., 1996. "Household and Intrahousehold Impact of the Grameen Bank and Similar Targeted Credit Programs in Bangladesh," World Bank - Discussion Papers 320, World Bank.
- Ahmed, Syed Masud & Adams, Alayne M. & Chowdhury, Mushtaque & Bhuiya, Abbas, 2000. "Gender, socioeconomic development and health-seeking behaviour in Bangladesh," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 361-371, August.
- Mosley, Paul & Hulme, David, 1998. "Microenterprise finance: Is there a conflict between growth and poverty alleviation?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 783-790, May.
- Jaim, W. M. H., 1986. "Financing The Poverty Stricken Rural Poor In Bangladesh," Bangladesh Journal of Agricultural Economics, Bangladesh Agricultural University, vol. 9(2).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:imefpp:v:3:y:2010:i:2:p:168-190. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.