Analyzing the effect of using international accounting standards on the development of emerging capital markets
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to analyze the consequences of using international accounting standards (IAS/IFRS) for the development of capital markets located in developing countries (emerging capital markets). Design/methodology/approach – The authors conduct an empirical study using a sample of 38 developing countries with capital markets, starting by comparing the means of the different measures studied before and after the use of IAS/IFRS. A multivariate statistical analysis is conducted based on the estimation of a model of panel data with fixed effects. Findings – The results show that the development of the emerging capital markets is positively and significantly associated with the use of international accounting standards. Practical implications – The paper's findings are of interest to several different parties, primarily the national accounting standardization body, the IASB, many international organizations and international investors. Originality/value – The paper describes an empirical study, conducted on a group of developing countries, which provides a better understanding of the potential consequences of the use of IASB standards. The paper is also a meaningful contribution to the international accounting literature, as it examines an interesting subject that has not yet been investigated.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 20 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=ijaim Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Chi-Wen Jevons, 1987. "Accounting infrastructure and economic development," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 75-85.
- Chamisa, Edward E., 2000. "The Relevance and Observance of the IASC Standards in Developing Countries and the Particular Case of Zimbabwe," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 267-286, 07.
- Zeghal, Daniel & Mhedhbi, Karim, 2006. "An analysis of the factors affecting the adoption of international accounting standards by developing countries," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 373-386, 012.
- Ding, Yuan & Hervé, Stolowy & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas, 2005.
"Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: measurement, determinants and implications,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
826, HEC Paris.
- Ding, Yuan & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas & Stolowy, Herve, 2007. "Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: Measurement, determinants and implications," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-38.
- Billmeier, Andreas & Massa, Isabella, 2009. "What drives stock market development in emerging markets--institutions, remittances, or natural resources?," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 23-35, March.
- Carol Ann Frost & Elizabeth A. Gordon & Andrew F. Hayes, 2006. "Stock Exchange Disclosure and Market Development: An Analysis of 50 International Exchanges," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 437-483, 06.
- Holger Daske & Luzi Hail & Christian Leuz & Rodrigo Verdi, 2008. "Mandatory IFRS Reporting around the World: Early Evidence on the Economic Consequences," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(5), pages 1085-1142, December.
- Valeriano F. García & Lin Liu, 1999. "Macroeconomic Determinants of Stock Market Development," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 29-59, May.
- Naomi Soderstrom & Kevin Jialin Sun, 2007. "IFRS Adoption and Accounting Quality: A Review," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 675-702.
- Samy Ben Naceur & Samir Ghazouani & Mohamed Omran, 2007. "The determinants of stock market development in the Middle-Eastern and North African region," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(7), pages 477-489.
- Mary E. Barth & Wayne R. Landsman & Mark H. Lang, 2008. "International Accounting Standards and Accounting Quality," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 467-498, 06.
- Charles Amo Yartey, 2010. "The institutional and macroeconomic determinants of stock market development in emerging economies," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(21), pages 1615-1625.
- H. Young Baek & Dong-Kyoon Kim & Joung W. Kim, 2008. "Management earnings forecasts and adverse selection cost: good vs bad news forecast," International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 16(1), pages 62-73, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:ijaipp:v:20:y:2012:i:3:p:220-237. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.