Analyzing the effect of using international accounting standards on the development of emerging capital markets
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to analyze the consequences of using international accounting standards (IAS/IFRS) for the development of capital markets located in developing countries (emerging capital markets). Design/methodology/approach – The authors conduct an empirical study using a sample of 38 developing countries with capital markets, starting by comparing the means of the different measures studied before and after the use of IAS/IFRS. A multivariate statistical analysis is conducted based on the estimation of a model of panel data with fixed effects. Findings – The results show that the development of the emerging capital markets is positively and significantly associated with the use of international accounting standards. Practical implications – The paper's findings are of interest to several different parties, primarily the national accounting standardization body, the IASB, many international organizations and international investors. Originality/value – The paper describes an empirical study, conducted on a group of developing countries, which provides a better understanding of the potential consequences of the use of IASB standards. The paper is also a meaningful contribution to the international accounting literature, as it examines an interesting subject that has not yet been investigated.
Volume (Year): 20 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=ijaim Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Billmeier, Andreas & Massa, Isabella, 2009. "What drives stock market development in emerging markets--institutions, remittances, or natural resources?," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 23-35, March.
- Ding, Yuan & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas & Stolowy, Herve, 2007.
"Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: Measurement, determinants and implications,"
Journal of Accounting and Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-38.
- Ding, Yuan & Hervé, Stolowy & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas, 2005. "Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: measurement, determinants and implications," Les Cahiers de Recherche 826, HEC Paris.
- Yuan Ding & Ole-Kristian Hope & Thomas Jeanjean & Hervé Stolowy, 2005. "Differences between Domestic Accounting Standards and IAS: Measurement, Determinants and Implications," Working Papers hal-00584707, HAL.
- Thomas Jeanjean & Hervé Stolowy & Y. Ding & O. K. Hope, 2007. "Differences between Domestic Accounting Standards and IAS: Measurement, Determinants and Implications," Post-Print halshs-00126772, HAL.
- Valeriano F. García & Lin Liu, 1999. "Macroeconomic Determinants of Stock Market Development," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 29-59, May.
- Samy Ben Naceur & Samir Ghazouani & Mohamed Omran, 2007. "The determinants of stock market development in the Middle-Eastern and North African region," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(7), pages 477-489.
- Lee, Chi-Wen Jevons, 1987. "Accounting infrastructure and economic development," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 75-85.
- Mary E. Barth & Wayne R. Landsman & Mark H. Lang, 2008. "International Accounting Standards and Accounting Quality," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 467-498, 06.
- Charles Amo Yartey, 2010. "The institutional and macroeconomic determinants of stock market development in emerging economies," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(21), pages 1615-1625.
- Carol Ann Frost & Elizabeth A. Gordon & Andrew F. Hayes, 2006. "Stock Exchange Disclosure and Market Development: An Analysis of 50 International Exchanges," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 437-483, 06.
- H. Young Baek & Dong-Kyoon Kim & Joung W. Kim, 2008. "Management earnings forecasts and adverse selection cost: good vs bad news forecast," International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 16(1), pages 62-73, July.
- Holger Daske & Luzi Hail & Christian Leuz & Rodrigo Verdi, 2008. "Mandatory IFRS Reporting around the World: Early Evidence on the Economic Consequences," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(5), pages 1085-1142, December.
- Zeghal, Daniel & Mhedhbi, Karim, 2006. "An analysis of the factors affecting the adoption of international accounting standards by developing countries," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 373-386, 012.
- Naomi Soderstrom & Kevin Jialin Sun, 2007. "IFRS Adoption and Accounting Quality: A Review," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 675-702.
- Chamisa, Edward E., 2000. "The Relevance and Observance of the IASC Standards in Developing Countries and the Particular Case of Zimbabwe," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 267-286, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:ijaipp:v:20:y:2012:i:3:p:220-237. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.