Improving the effectiveness of Islamic micro-financing
Purpose - The purpose of this paper is to suggest a way to improve the effectiveness of Islamic micro-financing in Indonesia. Design/methodology/approach - The approach taken to measure and evaluate the effectiveness of micro-financing is to point out the change of micro-enterprises' business performance and then develop a concept based on the research findings and literature review. Findings - The implementation of Islamic micro-financing, which was preceded by selection process of micro-enterprises and also accompanied by business control, incentive system, and construct good relationship, is effective in developing micro-enterprises and improving the household income. However, an integrated program as an effort to improve the effectiveness of Islamic micro-financing is still necessary. Practical implications - Micro-enterprises' development requires not only provision of financing in an interest free-based system, but it also needs the provision of other services. For the purpose of holistic approach for micro-enterprises' development and poverty alleviation, the spiritual development, especially via internalizing Islamic moral values in an entrepreneur's consciousness, is also necessary. In addition, poverty alleviation will be successful if Islamic financing is conducted in many areas, and the government takes part in this program. Originality/value - This paper shows how, in the Islamic perspective, spiritual development is necessary in improving the effectiveness of financing.
Volume (Year): 26 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/h.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Khandker, Shahidur R. & Faruqee, Rashid R., 2003.
"The impact of farm credit in Pakistan,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 28(3), May.
- Khandker, Shahidur R. & Faruqee, Rashid R., 2003. "The impact of farm credit in Pakistan," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 28(3), pages 197-213, May.
- Khandker, Shahidur R. & Faruqee, Rashidur R., 2001. "The impact of farm credit in Pakistan," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2653, The World Bank.
- Goldmark, Lara, 2001. "Microenterprise development in Latin America:: Towards a new flexibility," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 145-149, March.
- Khan, Shahrukh Rafi, 1988. "Henry George and an Alternative Islamic Land Tenure System," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(4), pages 721-739, July.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2002. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 1-3, January.
- Schreiner, Mark & Woller, Gary, 2003. "Microenterprise Development Programs in the United States and in the Developing World," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 1567-1580, September.
- Ahmed, Habib, 2002. "Financing Microenterprises: An Analytical Study Of Islamic Microfinance Institutions," Islamic Economic Studies, The Islamic Research and Training Institute (IRTI), vol. 9, pages 28-64. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:humpps:v:26:y:2010:i:1:p:65-75. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.