Releasing of restricted shares, firm quality, and market trading activity
Purpose–The purpose of this paper is to examine the market reactions and its determinants of the releasing of restricted non-tradable shares and to provide some useful information for the coming releasing peak of IPO-restricted shares in China. Design/methodology/approach–The paper employs event study and empirical analysis. Findings–It was found that the cumulative abnormal return during the releasing windows is significantly negative, and firm quality, agency problems, and the market trading activity play important roles in explaining the negative market relations. This evidence shows that the cumulative abnormal returns during the releasing windows are positively associated with firm performance, assets turnover ratio, assets quality and trading turnover ratio, and are negatively associated with market-to-book ratio, financial leverage, the local government or private character of the ultimate ownership controller, and sum of trading on the announcement day. Originality/value–The paper's value to investors is to show that one should choose firms with good financial position, not controlled by local government or private, and refer to the market trading activity in releasing windows. The paper's value to regulation parties is that they should regulate disclosure quality of financial reports, and avoid arbitrage due to information asymmetry during the releasing process to reduce the negative wealth effects to investors.
Volume (Year): 1 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=cfri Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1999.
"Investor Protection and Corporate Valuation,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1882, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Laura Casares Field, 2001. "The Expiration of IPO Share Lockups," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 471-500, 04.
- Shleifer, Andrei, 1986. " Do Demand Curves for Stocks Slope Down?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(3), pages 579-90, July.
- Zingales, Luigi, 1995. "What Determines the Value of Corporate Votes?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(4), pages 1047-73, November.
- Asquith, Paul & Mullins, David Jr., 1986. "Equity issues and offering dilution," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 61-89.
- Stijn Claessens & Simeon Djankov & Joseph P. H. Fan & Larry H. P. Lang, 2002. "Disentangling the Incentive and Entrenchment Effects of Large Shareholdings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2741-2771, December.
- Longstaff, Francis A, 1995. " How Much Can Marketability Affect Security Values?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1767-74, December.
- De Bondt, Werner F M & Thaler, Richard, 1985. " Does the Stock Market Overreact?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 793-805, July.
- Scholes, Myron S, 1972. "The Market for Securities: Substitution versus Price Pressure and the Effects of Information on Share Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(2), pages 179-211, April.
- Eli Ofek & Matthew Richardson, 2003. "DotCom Mania: The Rise and Fall of Internet Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(3), pages 1113-1138, 06.
- Kalay, Avner & Shimrat, Adam, 1987. "Firm value and seasoned equity issues : Price pressure, wealth redistribution, or negative information," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 109-126, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:cfripp:v:1:y:2010:i:1:p:78-97. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.