Foreign debt, economic growth and economic crisis
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to examine the relationship between foreign debt, economic growth and economic crisis. Design/methodology/approach – This paper constructs a Ramsey-Cass-Koopmans model theoretically and examines empirically the relationship between foreign debt, economic growth and economic crisis using US data over the period of 2003 and 2008. Findings – The paper finds that if the debt transformation rate is low when the debt ratio rises over a certain point; economic growth will be hindered, and may even trigger economic crisis. In contrast, high debt transformation rate may facilitate economic growth. However, the paper also shows that when the debt ratio exceeds a certain point, the debt will become a barrier to economic growth. These results will be of interest to policy makers not only in developed countries but also in emerging economies such as China. Originality/value – These findings suggest that the relationship between debt, economic growth and economic crisis is not uniform, but depends on debt transformation rate.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 5 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/jcefts.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alesina, Alberto F & Tabellini, Guido, 1988.
"External Debt, Capital Flight and Political Risk,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
253, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Alesina & Guido Tabellini, 1988. "External Debt, Capital Flight and Political Risk," UCLA Economics Working Papers 538, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Tabellini, Guido & Alesina, Alberto, 1989. "External Debt, Capital Flight and Political Risk," Scholarly Articles 4553019, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Guido Tabellini, 1988. "External Debt, Capital Flight and Political Risk," NBER Working Papers 2610, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Cohen & Jeffrey Sachs, 1985.
"Growth and External Debt Under Risk of Debt Repudiation,"
NBER Working Papers
1703, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cohen, Daniel & Sachs, Jeffrey, 1986. "Growth and external debt under risk of debt repudiation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 529-560, June.
- Daniel Cohen & Jeffrey Sachs, 1991. "Growth and External Debt Under Risk of Debt Repudiation," NBER Chapters, in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 437-472 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cui, Xiaoyong & Gong, Liutang, 2008. "Foreign aid, domestic capital accumulation, and foreign borrowing," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1269-1284, September.
- Gong, Liutang & Zou, Heng-fu, 2001.
"Foreign Aid Reduces Labor Supply and Capital Accumulation,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 105-18, February.
- Liutang Gong & Heng-fu Zou, 2001. "Foreign Aid Reduces Labor Supply and Capital Accumulation," CEMA Working Papers 56, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Kharroubi, E., 2008. "Domestic Savings and Foreign Capital: the Complementarity Channel," Working papers 212, Banque de France.
- Chowdhury, Abdur R., 2001. "External Debt and Growth in Developing Countries: A Sensitivity and Causal Analysis," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Paul R. Krugman, 1988.
"Financing vs. Forgiving a Debt Overhang,"
NBER Working Papers
2486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:pid:journl:v:40:y:2001:i:4:p:677-688 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sachs, Jeffrey, 1989. "Efficient debt reduction," Policy Research Working Paper Series 194, The World Bank.
- Helene Poirson Ward & Luca A Ricci & Catherine A Pattillo, 2004. "What Are the Channels Through Which External Debt Affects Growth?," IMF Working Papers 04/15, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:ceftpp:v:5:y:2012:i:2:p:157-167. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.