The home-employment effect of FDI from developing countries: in the case of China
Purpose – The current extensive literature on the home-country employment effect of foreign direct investment (FDI) focuses almost exclusively on the investments from developed countries. The purpose of this paper is to analyze the home-country employment effect in China, a country that has emerged as an important emerging economy increasingly integrated into the global economy. Design/methodology/approach – This study investigates the long-run relationships between outward FDI and employment in China. Johansen's cointegration technique and Toda and Yamamoto's Granger causality tests are applied to data for the period 1982-2007. Findings – The results indicate that outward FDI from China had a positive impact on the home-country employment growth, especially in tertiary industry. These results also imply that the logic of the outward investments from low-cost transitional and developing economies differs from that of high-income countries. Originality/value – In this paper, the authors analyze the home-country employment effect of FDI in China.
Volume (Year): 4 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com |
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/jcefts.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Baldwin, 1995.
"The Effects of Trade and Foreign Direct Investment on Employment and Relative Wages,"
OECD Jobs Study Working Papers
4, OECD Publishing.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 1995. "The Effects of Trade and Foreign Direct Investment on Employment and Relative Wages," NBER Working Papers 5037, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. Lael Brainard & David A. Riker, 1997. "Are U.S. Multinationals Exporting U.S. Jobs?," NBER Working Papers 5958, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kokko, Ari, 2006. "The Home Country Effects Of Fdi In Developed Economies," EIJS Working Paper Series 225, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Ari Kokko, 1994.
"Home Country Effects of Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Sweden,"
NBER Working Papers
4639, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1994. "Home Country Effects of Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Sweden," CEPR Discussion Papers 931, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1994. "Home Country Effects of Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from Sweden," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 3, Stockholm School of Economics.
- L. Cuyvers & M. Dumont & G. Rayp & K. Stevens, 2002. "Home Employment Effects of EU Firms' Activities in Central and Eastern European Countries," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 02/158, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Howard J. Shatz, 1994. "Trade and Jobs in Manufacturing," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 25(1), pages 1-84.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1988. "The Effect of Multinational Firms' Operations on Their Domestic Employment," NBER Working Papers 2760, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Oxelheim, Lars & Thulin, Per, 2005. "The Relationship Between Domestic and Outward Foreign Investment Revisited: The Impact of Industry-Specific Effects," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 35, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Jaan Masso & Urmas Varblane & Priit Vahter, 2007.
"The Impact Of Outward Fdi On Home-Country Employment In A Low-Cost Transition Economy,"
University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series
52, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Jaan Masso & Urmas Varblane & Priit Vahter, 2007. "The Impact of Outward FDI on Home-Country Employment in a Low-Cost Transition Economy," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp873, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Pennings, Enrico & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 2000. "International relocation: firm and industry determinants," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 179-186, May.
- Matthew J. Slaughter, 1995. "Multinational Corporations, Outsourcing, and American Wage Divergence," NBER Working Papers 5253, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Braconier, Henrik & Ekholm, Karolina, 2001.
"Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern Europe: Employment Effects in the EU,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3052, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henrik Braconier & Karolina Ekholm, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern Europe: Employment Effects in the EU," Development Working Papers 161, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Eric D. Ramstetter & Magnus Blomstrom, 2000. "Outward FDI and Parent Exports and Employment: Japan, the United States, and Sweden," NBER Working Papers 7623, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell DC & Mcelrath RG, 1990. "The Employment effects of multinational enterprises in the United States and of American multinationals abroad," ILO Working Papers 289571, International Labour Organization.
- Markusen, James R., 2002.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James R. Markusen, 2004. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078, June.
- Slaughter, Matthew J., 2000. "Production transfer within multinational enterprises and American wages," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 449-472, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:ceftpp:v:4:y:2011:i:3:p:173-182. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.