Strategic options associated with cooperative members' equity
Purpose – Building on the property rights framework, the purpose of this paper is to frame the cooperative business model in terms of strategic options held either by the board or by members. Options that are analyzed include growth and restructuring, dividend allocation, member entry and exit, and member embedded value options. Design/methodology/approach – Empirical estimates of the options' financial value, as well as sensitivity analyses, are presented for a stylized example using historical data and Monte Carlo option-pricing methods. Attention is paid to the effect of member age, discount rate and business operation size. Findings – Results suggest that the board's growth options can be substantial, while member options generally have small but nontrivial value. Implications for the stability of membership are drawn. Practical implications – The financial or economic value of strategic options in agricultural cooperatives can be significant, and decision makers may benefit from accounting for their presence. Originality/value – Cooperatives play an important role in agribusiness but have undergone significant changes in the past two decades in terms of organizational and financial structure. This paper contributes to an understanding of the value of control and residual rights associated with the Board and members of cooperatives. JEL classification: G32, Q14
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 72 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=afr Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robin Cross & Steven Buccola, 2004. "Adapting Cooperative Structure to the New Global Environment," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1254-1261.
- Abigail M. Hind, 1997. "The Changing Values of the Cooperative and Its Business Focus," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1077-1082.
- Cook, Michael L. & Plunkett, Brad, 2006. "Collective Entrepreneurship: An Emerging Phenomenon in Producer-Owned Organizations," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(02), August.
- Michael E. Sykuta & Michael L. Cook, 2001. "A New Institutional Economics Approach to Contracts and Cooperatives," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1273-1279.
- Cook, Michael L. & Plunkett, Brad, 2006. "Collective Entrepreneurship: An Emerging Phenomenon in Producer-Owned Organizations," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(02), pages 421-428, August.
- Paula Cabo & Joao Rebelo, 2005. "Why do Agricultural Credit Cooperatives Merge? The Portuguese Experience," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 76(3), pages 491-516, 09.
- Getu Hailu & Scott R. Jeffrey & Ellen W. Goddard, 2007. "Capital structure, firm size, and efficiency: the case of farm petroleum and animal feed co-operatives in Canada," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 67(2), pages 279-293, September.
- Michael L. Cook & Fabio R. Chaddad, 2004. "Redesigning Cooperative Boundaries: The Emergence of New Models," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1249-1253.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Manfredo, Mark R., 2001. "Post Merger Performance of Agricultural Cooperatives," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20531, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Brent Hueth & Philippe Marcoul, 2009. "Incentive Pay for CEOs in Cooperative Firms," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1218-1223.
- Fabio R. Chaddad & Michael L. Cook & Thomas Heckelei, 2005. "Testing for the Presence of Financial Constraints in US Agricultural Cooperatives: An Investment Behaviour Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(3), pages 385-397.
- Fabio R. Chaddad & Michael L. Cook, 2004. "The Economics of Organization Structure Changes: a US perspective on demutualization," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(4), pages 575-594, December.
- Kenkel, Philip L. & Park, John L., 2007. "Business Models and Producer-Owned Ventures: Choices, Challenges, and Changes," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(02), August.
- Fabio R. Chaddad & Michael L. Cook, 2004. "Understanding New Cooperative Models: An Ownership–Control Rights Typology," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 26(3), pages 348-360.
- Bruce Kogut, 1991. "Joint Ventures and the Option to Expand and Acquire," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(1), pages 19-33, January.
- Child, John & Faulkner, David & Tallman, Stephen, 2005. "Cooperative Strategy: Managing Alliances, Networks, and Joint Ventures," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 2, number 9780199266258, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:afrpps:v:72:y:2011:i:1:p:48-67. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.