Stocks, Commodities and Business Cycle Fluctuations – Seeking the Diversification Benefits
In this study we empirically verify the diversification potential of different commodity sectors for equity portfolios. We also try to find the explanation of varying cross-sectoral diversification benefits by verifying the relationship between macroeconomic variables and commodity indices. We employ correlation analysis for our purposes. The obtained results indicate that Precious Metal and Livestock are valuable equity portfolio diversifiers, while Industrial Metals volatility has much in common with the fluctuations of broad stock market.
Volume (Year): 7, Issue 4 (2012)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.wydawnictwoumk.pl|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mohanty, Jaya & Singh, Bhupal & Jain, Rajeev, 2003. "Business cycles and leading indicators of industrial activity in India," MPRA Paper 12149, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Dieter Hess & He Huang & Alexandra Niessen, 2008. "How do commodity futures respond to macroeconomic news?," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 127-146, June.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Matthias Gubler & Matthias S. Hertweck, 2011.
"Commodity Price Shocks and the Business Cycle: Structural Evidence for the U.S,"
2011/05, Faculty of Business and Economics - University of Basel.
- Gubler, Matthias & Hertweck, Matthias S., 2013. "Commodity price shocks and the business cycle: Structural evidence for the U.S," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 324-352.
- Matthias Gubler & Matthias S. Hertweck, 2011. "Commodity Price Shocks and the Business Cycle: Structural Evidence for the U.S," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2011-03, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Matthias Gubler & Matthias S. Hertweck, 2013. "Commodity Price Shocks and the Business Cycle: Structural Evidence for the U.S," Working Papers 2013-05, Swiss National Bank.
- Ulrich Fritsche & Felix Marklein, 2001.
"Leading Indicators of Euroland Business Cycles,"
- Flood, Robert P. & Rose, Andrew K., 2010.
"Inflation targeting and business cycle synchronization,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 704-727, June.
- Flood, Robert P & Rose, Andrew K, 2009. "Inflation Targeting and Business Cycle Synchronization," CEPR Discussion Papers 7377, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baxter, Marianne & Kouparitsas, Michael A., 2005.
"Determinants of business cycle comovement: a robust analysis,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 113-157, January.
- Marianne Baxter & Michael Kouparitsas, 2004. "Determinants of business cycle comovement: a robust analysis," Working Paper Series WP-04-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Marianne Baxter & Michael A. Kouparitsas, 2004. "Determinants of Business Cycle Comovement: A Robust Analysis," NBER Working Papers 10725, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demidova-Menzel, Nadeshda & Heidorn, Thomas, 2007. "Gold in the investment portfolio," Frankfurt School - Working Paper Series 87, Frankfurt School of Finance and Management.
- Inklaar, Robert & de Haan, Jakob, 2001. "Is There Really a European Business Cycle? A Comment," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(2), pages 215-20, April.
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marshall, 1970. "International Diversification of Investment Portfolios," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 668-75, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpn:umkequ:2012:v4:6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Miroslawa Buczynska)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.