MAcMap-HS6 2007, an Exhaustive and Consistent Measure of Applied Protection in 2007
The third version of the MAcMap-HS6 database, built as a result of a joint effort of CEPII (Centre d'Études Prospectives et d’Informations Internationales, Paris) and ITC (International Trade Centre, Geneva), based on ITC’s MAcMap raw data, proposes an exhaustive and consistent measure of applied, preferential tariff protection in 2007. The methodology, similar to the one used for previous versions, relies on reference groups of countries to limit the endogeneity bias faced when computing ad valorem equivalents of tariff protection, and when computing averages at aggregate levels. The world average applied protection level in 2007 is estimated to be 4.4%. Compared to 2004, this is a decline by nearly 0.7 percentage point, mainly due to unilateral liberalizations and to new preferential trade agreements. The decline in the ad valorem equivalent of specific tariffs of some agricultural products, linked to the surge in world prices, lowers the average protection. In the opposite way, the increasing share of developing countries, where protection is higher, tends to raise the world average.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 130 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 01 53 68 55 00
Fax: 33 01 53 68 55 01
Web page: http://www.cepii.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Anderson & J. Peter Neary, 2005. "Measuring the Restrictiveness of International Trade Policy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262012200, June.
- Antoine Berthou & Charlotte Emlinger, 2011.
"The Trade Unit Values database,"
CEPII research center, issue 128, pages 97-118.
- Antoine Bou�t & Yvan Decreux & Lionel Fontagné & Sébastien Jean & David Laborde, 2008. "Assessing Applied Protection across the World," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(5), pages 850-863, November.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2010. "BACI: International Trade Database at the Product-Level. The 1994-2007 Version," Working Papers 2010-23, CEPII research center.
- Abbott, Philip C. & Paarlberg, Philip L., 1998. "Tariff rate quotas: structural and stability impacts in growing markets," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 257-267, December.
- Antoine Bouët & Yvan Decreux & Lionel Fontagné & Sébastien Jean & David Laborde, 2004. "A Consistent, Ad-Valorem Equivalent Measure of Applied Protection Across the World: The MAcMap-HS6 Database," Working Papers 2004-22, CEPII research center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cii:cepiei:2012-q2-130-5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.