Exchange rate pass-through: new evidence from German micro data
This paper examines exchange rate pass-through into German import unit values over the last 20 years. I find incomplete pass-through to be the predominant characteristic for German imports with an average rate of 42% over three months. This result holds when considering monthly 8-digit data, the most disaggregated German import data available. Furthermore, I distinguish 16 German trading partners and estimate substantial cross-country differences in the pass-through to import unit values. Imports coming from European countries generally exhibit statistically zero pass-through. By contrast, non-European trading partners are characterized by statistically significant incomplete pass-through rates. I also study whether there are differences in the pass-through rates for appreciations and depreciations, as well as for small and large exchange rate shocks. Moreover, I test for a negative correlation between the goods’ quality and its pass-through rate.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 124 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 01 53 68 55 00
Fax: 33 01 53 68 55 01
Web page: http://www.cepii.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raphael Auer & Thomas Chaney, 2009.
"Exchange rate pass-through in a competitive model of pricing-to-market,"
Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper
23, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Raphael Auer & Thomas Chaney, 2009. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through in a Competitive Model of Pricing-to-Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(s1), pages 151-175, 02.
- Thomas Chaney & Raphael, 2008. "Exchange rate pass-through in a competitive model of pricing-to-market," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Guillaume Gaulier & Amina Lahrèche-Révil & Isabelle Méjean, 2006.
"Exchange-Rate Pass-Trough at the Product Level,"
2006-02, CEPII research center.
- J. McCarthy, 1999.
"Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialised economies,"
BIS Working Papers
79, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2007. "Pass-Through of Exchange Rates and Import Prices to Domestic Inflation in Some Industrialized Economies," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 511-537, Fall.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2000. "Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialized economies," Staff Reports 111, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- David Hummels & Jun Ishii & Kei-Mu Yi, 1999.
"The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade,"
72, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hummels, David & Ishii, Jun & Yi, Kei-Mu, 2001. "The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 75-96, June.
- Ghosh, Amit & Rajan, Ramkishen S., 2009. "Exchange rate pass-through in Korea and Thailand: Trends and determinants," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 55-70, January.
- Paul R. Bergin & Robert C. Feenstra, 2009.
"Pass-Through of Exchange Rates and Competition between Floaters and Fixers,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(s1), pages 35-70, 02.
- Paul R. Bergin & Robert C. Feenstra, 2007. "Pass-through of Exchange Rates and Competition Between Floaters and Fixers," NBER Working Papers 13620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeevan K Khundrakpam, 2007. "Economic reforms and exchange rate pass-through to domestic prices in India," BIS Working Papers 225, Bank for International Settlements.
- Gita Gopinath & Oleg Itskhoki & Roberto Rigobon, 2007.
"Currency Choice and Exchange Rate Pass-through,"
NBER Working Papers
13432, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003.
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Linda S. Goldberg & José Manuel Campa, 2010. "The Sensitivity of the CPI to Exchange Rates: Distribution Margins, Imported Inputs, and Trade Exposure," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 92(2), pages 392-407, May.
- Christopher Gust & Sylvain Leduc & Robert Vigfusson, 2006.
"Trade Integration, Competiton, and the Decline in Exchange-rate Pass-through,"
2006 Meeting Papers
165, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gust, Christopher & Leduc, Sylvain & Vigfusson, Robert, 2010. "Trade integration, competition, and the decline in exchange-rate pass-through," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 309-324, April.
- Christopher Gust & Sylvain Leduc & Robert J. Vigfusson, 2006. "Trade integration, competition, and the decline in exchange-rate pass-through," International Finance Discussion Papers 864, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Giovanni P. Olivei, 2002. "Exchange rates and the prices of manufacturing products imported into the United States," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Q 1, pages 3 - 18.
- Mario Marazzi & Nathan Sheets & Robert J. Vigfusson & Jon Faust & Joseph Gagnon & Jaime Marquez & Robert F. Martin & Trevor Reeve & John Rogers, 2005. "Exchange rate pass-through to U.S. import prices: some new evidence," International Finance Discussion Papers 833, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gita Gopinath & Oleg Itskhoki, 2010.
"Frequency of Price Adjustment and Pass-Through,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 125(2), pages 675-727, May.
- Feinberg, Robert M, 2000. "The Role of International Discipline in Three Developing Economies: Exchange Rate Effects on Domestic Prices in Colombia, Korea, and Morocco," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 126-33, February.
- Charles Engel, 2009. "Pass-Through, Exchange Rates, and Monetary Policy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(s1), pages 177-185, 02.
- Haroon Mumtaz & Özlem Oomen & Jian Wang, 2006. "Exchange rate pass-through into UK import prices," Bank of England working papers 312, Bank of England.
- Hellerstein, Rebecca, 2008. "Who bears the cost of a change in the exchange rate? Pass-through accounting for the case of beer," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 14-32, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cii:cepiei:2010-4tc. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.