Managing Migration Through Conflicting Policies: An Option-Theory Perspective
We try to determine whether it is better for a government to tighten or relax limits for immigrants in order to control migration inflows. To this end, we use a real option approach to migration choice that assumes that the decision to migrate can be described as an irreversible investment decision. Our results show that promoting uncertainty over migration limit may improve the government's control on migration inflows (quotas). In particular, we show that if the government controls the information related to the immigration stock it may delay the mass entry of immigrants, maintaining the required stock in the long run and controlling the flows in the short run.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 57 (2010)
Issue (Month): s1 (07)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0036-9292|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0036-9292|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash K. & Pindyck, Robert S. & Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research., 2003.
"Expandability, reversibility, and optimal capacity choice,"
97-006WP., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Avinash K. Dixit & Robert S. Pindyck, 1998. "Expandability, Reversibility, and Optimal Capacity Choice," NBER Working Papers 6373, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy J. Hatton, 2004. "Seeking asylum in Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 19(38), pages 5-62, 04.
- Bauer, Thomas & Epstein, Gil S & Gang, Ira, 2002.
"Herd Effects or Migration Networks? The Location Choice of Mexican Immigrants in the US,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3505, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Epstein, Gil S. & Gang, Ira N., 2002. "Herd Effects or Migration Networks? The Location Choice of Mexican Immigrants in the U.S," IZA Discussion Papers 551, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ira N. Gang & Thomas Bauer & Gil S. Epstein, 2002. "Herd Effects or Migration Networks? The Location Choice of Mexican Immigrants in the U.S," Departmental Working Papers 200216, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Michele Moretto & Sergio Vergalli, 2005.
ubs0507, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Epstein, Gil S. & Gang, Ira N., 2004.
"Ethnic Networks and International Trade,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1232, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Steven R. Grenadier, 2002. "Option Exercise Games: An Application to the Equilibrium Investment Strategies of Firms," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 691-721.
- Holger Feist, 1998. "Wage-distance regulation in social-welfare programs: An option-theory perspective," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 68(3), pages 271-293, October.
- Avinash Dixit, 1992.
"Irreversible Investment with Uncertainty and Scale Economies,"
STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series
/1992/240, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1995. "Irreversible investment with uncertainty and scale economies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 327-350.
- Avinash Dixit, 1992. "Irreversible investment with uncertainty and scale economies," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19372, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Moretto, Michele, 2008.
"Competition and irreversible investments under uncertainty,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 75-88, March.
- Michele Moretto, 2007. "Competition and Irreversible Investments under Uncertainty," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0058, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Michele Moretto, 2003. "Competition and Irreversible Investments under Uncertainty," Working Papers 2003.32, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Sergio Vergalli, 2006.
"Entry and Exit Strategies in Migration Dynamics,"
2006.123, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Burda,M.C., 1995.
"Migration and the Option Value of Waiting,"
597, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- M. C. Burda, 1995. "Migration and the Option Value of Waiting," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,58, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Burda, Michael C, 1995. "Migration and the Option Value of Waiting," CEPR Discussion Papers 1229, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sergio Vergalli, 2006.
"The Role of Community in Migration Dynamics,"
2006.4, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Cesare Dosi & Michele Moretto, 1999.
"Is Ecolabelling a Reliable Environmental Policy Measure?,"
1999.9, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Cesare Dosi & Michele Moretto, 2001. "Is Ecolabelling a Reliable Environmental Policy Measure?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 18(1), pages 113-127, January.
- Gil Epstein & Shmuel Nitzan, 2006.
"The struggle over migration policy,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 703-723, October.
- Hill, John K., 1987. "Immigrant decisions concerning duration of stay and migratory frequency," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 221-234, February.
- Leahy, John V, 1993. "Investment in Competitive Equilibrium: The Optimality of Myopic Behavior," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(4), pages 1105-33, November.
- Tito Boeri & Herbert Brücker, 2005. "Why are Europeans so tough on migrants?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 20(44), pages 629-703, October.
- Bartolini, Leonardo, 1995. "Foreign investment quotas and rent extraction under uncertainty," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 25-49, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:scotjp:v:57:y:2010:i:s1:p:318-342. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.