Monetary Policy Rules for Managing Aid Surges in Africa
This paper examines the properties of alternative monetary policy rules in response to large aid surges in low-income countries characterized by incomplete capital market integration and currency substitution. Using a dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model, it is shown that simple monetary rules that stabilize the path of expected future seigniorage for a given aid flow have attractive properties relative to a range of conventional alternatives, including those involving heavy reliance on bond sterilization or a commitment to a pure exchange rate float. These simple rules, which are shown to be robust across a range of fiscal responses to aid inflows, appear to be consistent with actual responses to recent aid surges in a range of post-stabilization countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. Copyright 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2009)
Issue (Month): s1 (08)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1363-6669 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1363-6669|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juillard, Michel, 1996. "Dynare : a program for the resolution and simulation of dynamic models with forward variables through the use of a relaxation algorithm," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9602, CEPREMAP.
- A. Javier Hamann & Ales Bulir, 2006.
"Volatility of Development Aid; From the Frying Pan Into the Fire?,"
IMF Working Papers
06/65, International Monetary Fund.
- Bulír, Ales & Hamann, A. Javier, 2008. "Volatility of Development Aid: From the Frying Pan into the Fire?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 2048-2066, October.
- Edward Buffie & Christopher Adam & Stephen O'Connell & Catherine Patillo, 2006.
"Riding the Wave: Monetary Responses to Aid Surges in Low-Income Countries,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2006-04, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Buffie, Edward & Adam, Christopher & O'Connell, Stephen & Pattillo, Catherine, 2008. "Riding the wave: Monetary responses to aid surges in low-income countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(8), pages 1378-1395, November.
- Christopher Adam, 2006. "Riding the Wave: Monetary Responses to Aid Surges in Low-Income Countries," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2006-04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Adam, Christopher S. & Buffie, Edward & O'Connell, Stephen & Pattillo, Catherine, 2008.
"Monetary Policy Rules for Managing Aid Surges in Africa,"
Working Paper Series
RP2008/77, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Christopher Adam & Stephen O'Connell & Edward Buffie & Catherine Pattillo, 2009. "Monetary Policy Rules for Managing Aid Surges in Africa," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(s1), pages 464-490, 08.
- Edward F. Buffie & Stephen A. O'Connell & Catherine A. Pattillo & Christopher Adam, 2007. "Monetary Policy Rules for Managing Aid Surges in Africa," IMF Working Papers 07/180, International Monetary Fund.
- Christopher Adam & Stephen O’Connell & Edward Buffie, 2007. "Monetary Policy Rules For Manging Aid Surges In Africa," WEF Working Papers 0016, ESRC World Economy and Finance Research Programme, Birkbeck, University of London.
- Sanjeev Gupta & Catherine Pattillo & Smita Wagh, 2006. "Are Donor Countries Giving More or Less Aid?," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 535-552, 08.
- Edward Buffie & Christopher Adam & Stephen O'Connell & Catherine Pattillo, 2004.
"Exchange Rate Policy and the Management of Official and Private Capital Flows in Africa,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(s1), pages 126-160, June.
- Catherine A. Pattillo & Stephen A. O'Connell & Christopher Adam & Edward F. Buffie, 2004. "Exchange Rate Policy and the Management of official and Private Capital Flows in Africa," IMF Working Papers 04/216, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin Brownbridge & Emmanuel Tumusiime-Mutebile, 2007. "Aid and Fiscal Deficits: Lessons from Uganda on the Implications for Macroeconomic Management and Fiscal Sustainability," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 25(2), pages 193-213, 03.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont & Guillermo Calvo & Carmen Reinhart, 1994.
"Targeting the Real Exchange Rate; Theory and Evidence,"
IMF Working Papers
94/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Reinhart, Carmen M. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1995. "Targeting the real exchange rate: theory and evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 97-133, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1994. "Targeting the real exchange rate: Theory and evidence," MPRA Paper 13412, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1994. "Targeting the real exchange rate," MPRA Paper 13765, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sanjeev Gupta & Catherine A. Pattillo & Smita Wagh, 2006. "Are Donor Countries Giving More or Less Aid?," IMF Working Papers 06/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Edward F. Buffie, 2003. "Tight Money, Real Interest Rates, and Inflation in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 50(1), pages 6.
- Buffie, Edward F. & O'Connell, Stephen A. & Adam, Christopher, 2010. "Fiscal inertia, donor credibility, and the monetary management of aid surges," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 287-298, November.
- C. L. Ramirez-Rojas, 1985. "Currency Substitution in Argentina, Mexico, and Uruguay (Substitution de monnaie en Argentine, au Mexique et en Uruguay) (SustituciÃ³n de moneda en Argentina, MÃ©xico y Uruguay)," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(4), pages 629-667, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:rdevec:v:13:y:2009:i:s1:p:464-490. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.