Impeded Industrial Restructuring: The Growth Penalty
This paper documents that a process of industrial restructuring has been transforming the developed economies, where large corporations are accounting for less economic activity and small firms are accounting for a greater share of economic activity. Not all countries, however, are experiencing the same shift in their industrial structures. Little is known about the cost of resisting this restructuring process. The goal of this paper is to identify whether there is a cost, measured in terms of foregone growth, of an impeded restructuring process. The cost is measured by linking growth rates of European countries to deviations from the "optimal" industrial structure. The empirical evidence suggests that countries impeding the restructuring process pay a penalty in terms of foregone growth. Copyright 2002 by WWZ and Helbing & Lichtenhahn Verlag AG
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 55 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0023-5962|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0023-5962|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wennekers, Sander & Thurik, Roy, 1999. "Linking Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 27-55, August.
- Zoltan Acs & David Audretsch, 1990. "Innovation and Small Firms," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011131.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Sources, Procedures, and Microeconomic Effects of Innovation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 1120-1171, September.
- Schmitz, James A, Jr, 1989. "Imitation, Entrepreneurship, and Long-run Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 721-739, June.
- Baumol, William J, 1990. "Entrepreneurship: Productive, Unproductive, and Destructive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 893-921, October.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1994.
"The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, And The Failure Of Internal Control Systems,"
Journal of Applied Corporate Finance,
Morgan Stanley, vol. 6(4), pages 4-23.
- Michael C. Jensen, 2010. "The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 22(1), pages 43-58.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1993. " The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 831-880, July.
- Gene M. Grossman (ed.), 1996. "Economic Growth," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, volume 0, number 553.
- You, Jong-Il, 1995. "Small Firms in Economic Theory," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(3), pages 441-462, June.
- Christine Oughton & Geoff Whittam., "undated".
"Competition and Co-operation in the Small Firm Sector,"
9602, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Oughton, Christine & Whittam, Geoff, 1997. "Competition and Cooperation in the Small Firm Sector," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 44(1), pages 1-30, February.
- Holmes, T.J. & Schmitz, J.A., 1988.
"A Theory Of Enterpreneurship And Its Application To The Study Of Business Transfers,"
8827, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Holmes, Thomas J & Schmitz, James A, Jr, 1990. "A Theory of Entrepreneurship and Its Application to the Study of Business Transfers," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 265-294, April.
- N Dryden & Stephen Nickell & D Nicolitsas, 1996.
"What Makes Firms Perform Well?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0308, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1996.
"Competition and Corporate Performance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 724-746, August.
- Acs,Zoltan J. & Audretsch,David B. (ed.), 1993. "Small Firms and Entrepreneurship," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521431156, October.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Klepper, Steven, 1992. "The Tradeoff between Firm Size and Diversity in the Pursuit of Technological Progress," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 1-14, March.
- Carree, Martin & Klomp, Luuk, 1996. "Small Business and Job Creation: A Comment," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 317-322, August.
- David B. Audretsch & A. Roy Thurik, 2000. "Capitalism and democracy in the 21st Century: from the managed to the entrepreneurial economy," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 17-34.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1993.
"Small Business and Job Creation: Dissecting the Myth and Reassessing theFacts,"
NBER Working Papers
4492, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John & Schuh, Scott, 1996. "Small Business and Job Creation: Dissecting the Myth and Reassessing the Facts," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 297-315, August.
- Audretsch,David B. & Thurik,Roy (ed.), 1999. "Innovation, Industry Evolution and Employment," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521641661, October.
- André van Stel & Martin Carree, 2002. "Business ownership and sectoral growth," Scales Research Reports H200206, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Blau, David M, 1987. "A Time-Series Analysis of Self-employment in the United State," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 445-467, June.
- M. Carree & A. Thurik, 1998. "Small firms and economic growth in europe," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 26(2), pages 137-146, June.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Klepper, Steven, 1996. "A Reprise of Size and R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(437), pages 925-951, July.
- David B. Audretsch, 1995. "Innovation and Industry Evolution," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011468.
- Teece, David J, 1993. "The Dynamics of Industrial Capitalism: Perspectives on Alfred Chandler's Scale and Scope," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(1), pages 199-225, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:kyklos:v:55:y:2002:i:1:p:81-97. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.