Demand Bias as an Explanation for Structural Change
An income elastic demand for services is usually regarded as one of the major explanations for the observed pattern of structural change in the world economy. Recent empirical findings cast some doubt on this demand-bias hypothesis. This paper presents a simple model of structural change that allows an assessment of the implications of alternative demand elasticities. The results show that lagging productivity growth in the service sector and a homothetic or income inelastic demand for services do not suffice to explain the stylized facts. Copyright 1994 by WWZ and Helbing & Lichtenhahn Verlag AG
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 47 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0023-5962|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0023-5962|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hammes, David L & Rosa, Jean-Jacques & Grubel, Herbert G, 1989. "The National Accounts, Household Service Consumption and Its Monetization," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 3-15.
- Locay, Luis, 1990. "Economic Development and the Division of Production between Households and Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 965-982, October.
- Wolff, Edward N., 1985. "Unbalanced Growth, Capital Accumulation and Productivity Growth," Working Papers 85-19, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Gundlach, Erich, 1993. "Die Dienstleistungsnachfrage als Determinante des wirtschaftlichen Strukturwandels," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 763, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Schultz, T Paul, 1985. "Changing World Prices, Women's Wages, and the Fertility Transition: Sweden, 1860-1910," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(6), pages 1126-1154, December.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1991. "Structural Determinants of Real Exchange Rates and National Price Levels: Some Empirical Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 325-334, March.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-326, June.