Does Corporate Lending by Banks and Finance Companies Differ? Evidence on Specialization in Private Debt Contracting
This paper establishes empirically the existence of specialization in private-market corporate lending, adding a new dimension to the public versus private debt distinctions now common in the literature. Comparing corporate loans made by banks and by finance companies, we find that the two types of intermediaries are equally likely to finance information-problematic firms. However, finance companies tend to serve observably riskier borrowers, particularly more leveraged borrowers. Evidence supports both regulatory and reputation-based explanations for this specialization. In passing, we shed light on various theories of debt contracting and intermediation and present facts about finance companies. Copyright The American Finance Association 1998.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 53 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (06)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.afajof.org/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.afajof.org/membership/join.asp|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- Black, Fischer, 1975. "Bank funds management in an efficient market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 323-339, December.
- Smith, Clifford Jr. & Warner, Jerold B., 1979. "On financial contracting : An analysis of bond covenants," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 117-161, June.
- Chemmanur, T.J. & Fulghieri, P., 1992.
"Reputation, Renegotiation, and the Choice Between Bank Loans and Publicity Traded Debt,"
92-24, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J & Fulghieri, Paolo, 1994. "Reputation, Renegotiation, and the Choice between Bank Loans and Publicly Traded Debt," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(3), pages 475-506.
- Kahan, Marcel & Tuckman, Bruce, 1993. "Private vs. Public Lending: Evidence from Covenants," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt1xw4w7sk, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Berlin, Mitchell & Mester, Loretta J., 1992.
"Debt covenants and renegotiation,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 95-133, June.
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1995. "Relationship Lending and Lines of Credit in Small Firm Finance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 351-81, July.
- Eli M. Remolona & Kurt C. Wulfekuhler, 1992.
"Finance companies, bank competition, and niche markets,"
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sum, pages 25-38.
- Eli M. Remolona & Kurt Wulfekuhler, 1993. "Finance companies, bank competition and niche markets," Research Paper 9316, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan V & Udell, Gregory F, 1991. "Secured Lending and Default Risk: Equilibrium Analysis, Policy Implications and Empirical Results," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(406), pages 458-72, May.
- Berger, Allen N. & Udell, Gregory F., 1990.
"Collateral, loan quality and bank risk,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 21-42, January.
- Flannery, Mark J., 1989. "Capital regulation and insured banks choice of individual loan default risks," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 235-258, September.
- Charles Calomiris & Mark Carey, 1994. "Loan market competition between foreign and U.S. banks: some facts about loans and borrowers," Proceedings 38, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Donald G. Simonson, 1994. "Business Strategies: Bank Commercial Lending vs. Finance Company Lending," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_112, Levy Economics Institute.
- Stulz, ReneM. & Johnson, Herb, 1985. "An analysis of secured debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 501-521, December.
- Leonard I. Nakamura, 1991. "Commercial bank information: implications for the structure of banking," Working Papers 92-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason, 1990.
"Do Firms Care Who Provides Their Financing?,"
in: Asymmetric Information, Corporate Finance, and Investment, pages 63-104
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven A. Sharpe & Hien H. Nguyen, 1994.
"Capital market imperfections and the incentive to lease,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
94-5, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sharpe, Steven A. & Nguyen, Hien H., 1995. "Capital market imperfections and the incentive to lease," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2-3), pages 271-294.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1991. "Monitoring and Reputation: The Choice between Bank Loans and Directly Placed Debt," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 689-721, August.
- Simon H. Kwan & Willard T. Carleton, 1995. "The role of private placement debt issues in corporate finance," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 95-13, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Dimitri B. Papadimitriou & Ronnie J. Phillips & L. Randall Wray, . "An Alternative in Small Business Finance, Community-Based Factoring Companies and Small Business Lending," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive 12, Levy Economics Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:jfinan:v:53:y:1998:i:3:p:845-878. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.