Publish or Perish? The Increasing Importance of Publications for Prospective Economics Professors in Austria, Germany and Switzerland
Tenure decisions depend, among other factors, on a candidate's career age and publication record. We associate publications with journal articles indexed in EconLit and measure publication output in equivalents of both top-five journal articles and European Economic Review (EER) articles. We find that the average age of a professor in the year of his/her first appointment is 38, i.e. he or she is appointed approximately eight years after completing the PhD. Between 1970 and 2006, the average publication record at the time of the first appointment is equivalent to 1.5 standardized top-five articles or 2.3 standardized EER articles. Publication records vary across subfields and have become more substantial over time. We predict that someone aspiring to a tenured position after 2011 should aim at an equivalent of four standardized top-five articles or six standardized EER articles. Copyright 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation Verein für Socialpolitik and Blackwell Publishing Ltd. 2008.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 9 (2008)
Issue (Month): (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1465-6485Email: |
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1465-6485|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BAUWENS, Luc & KIRMAN, Alan & LUBRANO, Michel & PROTOPOPESCU, Camelia, 2003.
"Ranking economics departments in Europe: a statistical approach,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003050, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michel Lubrano & Luc Bauwens & Alan Kirman & Camelia Protopopescu, 2003. "Ranking Economics Departments in Europe: A Statistical Approach," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1367-1401, December.
- BAUWENS, Luc & KIRMAN, Alan & LUBRANO, Michel & PROTOPOPESCU, Camelia, . "Ranking economics departments in Europe: a statistical approach," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1694, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michael Rauber & Heinrich Ursprung, 2006.
"Evaluation of researchers : a life cycle analysis of German academic economists,"
Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor
06-08, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
- Michael Rauber & Heinrich W. Ursprung, 2008. "Evaluation of Researchers: A Life Cycle Analysis of German Academic Economists," Conferences on New Political Economy, in: Max Albert & Stefan Voigt & Dieter Schmidtchen (ed.), Conferences on New Political Economy, edition 1, volume 25, pages 101-122(2 Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen.
- Michael Rauber & Heinrich Ursprung, 2006. "Evaluation of Researchers: A Life Cycle Analysis of German Academic Economists," CESifo Working Paper Series 1673, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2001.
"Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
01/8, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Pantelis Kalaitzidakis & Theofanis P. Mamuneas & Thanasis Stengos, 2003. "Rankings of Academic Journals and Institutions in Economics," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1346-1366, December.
- Günther G. Schulze & Susanne Warning & Christian Wiermann, 2008.
"Zeitschriftenrankings für die Wirtschaftswissenschaften - Konstruktion eines umfassenden Metaindexes,"
Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9(3), pages 286-305, 08.
- Susanne Warning & Christian Wiermann & Günther G. Schulze, 2008. "Zeitschriftenrankings für die Wirtschaftswissenschaften Konstruktion eines umfassenden Metaindexes," Discussion Paper Series 3, Department of International Economic Policy, University of Freiburg, revised Mar 2008.
- Michael Rauber & Heinrich W. Ursprung, 2008.
"Life Cycle and Cohort Productivity in Economic Research: The Case of Germany,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9, pages 431-456, November.
- Michael Rauber & Heinrich Ursprung, 2007. "Life Cycle and Cohort Productivity in Economic Research: The Case of Germany," CESifo Working Paper Series 2093, CESifo Group Munich.
- Michael Bräuninger & Justus Haucap, 2003. "Reputation and Relevance of Economics Journals," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 175-197, 05.
- Michael Bräninger & Justus Haucap, 2001. "Was �konomen lesen und schätzen: Ergebnisse einer Umfrage," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 2(2), pages 185-210, 05.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Laurent Linnemer, 2003. "Where are the Economists Who Publish? Publication Concentration and Rankings in Europe Based on Cumulative Publications," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1250-1308, December.
- Heinrich W. Ursprung & Markus Zimmer, 2007. "Who is the "Platz-Hirsch" of the German Economics Profession? A Citation Analysis," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 227(2), pages 187-208, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:germec:v:9:y:2008:i::p:457-472. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.