Downward Wage Rigidity in Europe: A New Flexible Parametric Approach and Empirical Results
We suggest a new parametric approach to estimate the extent of downward nominal wage rigidity in ten European countries between 1995 and 2001. The database used throughout is the User Data Base of the European Community Household Panel (ECHP). The proposed approach is based on the generalized hyperbolic distribution, which allows to model wage change distributions characterized by thick tales, skewness and leptokurtosis. Significant downward nominal wage rigidity is found in all countries under analysis, but the extent varies considerably across countries. Yearly estimates reveal increasing rigidity in Italy, Greece and Portugal, while rigidity is declining in Denmark and Belgium. The results imply that the costs of price stability differ substantially across Europe. Copyright 2009 The Authors. Journal Compilation Verein für Socialpolitik and Blackwell Publishing Ltd. 2009.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2010)
Issue (Month): (05)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1465-6485|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1465-6485|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holden, Steinar & Wulfsberg, Fredrik, 2004.
"Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity in Europe,"
08/2004, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- William T. Dickens & Lorenz Goette & Erica L. Groshen & Steinar Holden & Julian Messina & Mark E. Schweitzer & Jarkko Turunen & Melanie Ward, 2006. "The interaction of labor markets and inflation: analysis of micro data from the International Wage Flexibility Project," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Michael W. L. Elsby, 2005.
"Evaluating the Economic Significance of Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0704, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Elsby, Michael W.L., 2009. "Evaluating the economic significance of downward nominal wage rigidity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 154-169, March.
- Michael W. L. Elsby, 2005. "Evaluating the economic significance of downward nominal wage rigidity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19882, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Michael W. Elsby, 2006. "Evaluating the Economic Significance of Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity," NBER Working Papers 12611, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anna Iara & Iulia Traistaru, 2004.
"How Flexible are Wages in EU Accession Countries?,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa04p191, European Regional Science Association.
- Anna Iara & Iulia Traistaru, 2004. "How Flexible Are Wages In EU Accession Countries?," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 128, Royal Economic Society.
- Iara, Anna & Traistaru, Iulia, 2003. "How flexible are wages in EU accession countries?," ZEI Working Papers B 25-2003, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Jonas Agell & Per Lundborg, .
"Survey evidence on wage rigidity and unemployment: Sweden in the 1990s,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
99-15, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Jonas Agell & Per Lundborg, 2003. "Survey Evidence on Wage Rigidity and Unemployment: Sweden in the 1990s," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 105(1), pages 15-30, 03.
- Agell, Jonas & Lundborg, Per, 1999. "Survey Evidence on Wage Rigidity and Unemployment: Sweden in the 1990s," Working Paper Series 1999:12, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Agell, Jonas & Lundborg, Per, 1999. "Survey evidence on wage rigidity and unemployment: Sweden in the 1990s," Working Paper Series 1999:2, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Agell, J. & Lundborg, P., 1999. "Survey Evidence on Wage Rigidity and Unemployment: Sweden in the 1990s," Papers 1999:12, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Steinar Holden & Fredrik Wulfsberg, 2007.
"Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity in the OECD,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2009, CESifo Group Munich.
- Thomas Beissinger & Christoph Knoppik, 2006.
"Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity in Europe: An Analysis of European Micro Data from the ECHP 1994-2001,"
Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut für Volkswirtschaftslehre der Universität Hohenheim
275/2006, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Christoph Knoppik & Thomas Beissinger, 2009. "Downward nominal wage rigidity in Europe: an analysis of European micro data from the ECHP 1994–2001," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 321-338, May.
- Knoppik, Christoph & Beissinger, Thomas, 2005. "Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity in Europe: An Analysis of European Micro Data from the ECHP 1994-2001," IZA Discussion Papers 1492, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Knoppik, Christoph & Beissinger, Thomas, 2005. "Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity in Europe: An Analysis of European Micro Data from the ECHP 1994-2001," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 402, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
- Louis N. Christofides & Man Tuen Leung, 2003.
"Nominal Wage Rigidity in Contract Data: A Parametric Approach,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 70(280), pages 619-638, November.
- Louis N. Christofides & Man Tuen Leung, 2002. "Nominal Wage Rigidity in Contract Data: A Parametric Approach," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 0210, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Bauer, Christian, 2000. "Value at risk using hyperbolic distributions," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 52(5), pages 455-467.
- Kahn, Shulamit, 1997. "Evidence of Nominal Wage Stickiness from Microdata," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 993-1008, December.
- Franco Peracchi, 2002. "The European Community Household Panel: A review," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 63-90.
- Smith, Jennifer C, 2000. "Nominal Wage Rigidity in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C176-95, March.
- Stephen Nickell & Glenda Quintini, 2001.
"Nominal Wage Rigidity and the Rate of Inflation,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0489, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:germec:v:11:y:2010:i::p:169-187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.