Competition Tests with a Non-Structural Model: the Panzar-Rosse Method Applied to Germany's Savings Banks
In this paper we adopt the Panzar-Rosse approach to assess the competitive conditions in the German banking market for the period from 1993 to 2002. We suggest several improvements to the empirical application of the approach and show that frequently used empirical models that apply price rather than revenue functions lead to biased results. Using disaggregated annual data from more than 400 savings banks (Sparkassen) the empirical findings indicate monopolistic competition, the cases of monopoly and perfect competition are strongly rejected. Furthermore, small banks seem to enjoy even more market power than larger institutions. Copyright 2008 The Authors. Journal Compilation Verein für Socialpolitik and Blackwell Publishing Ltd. 2008.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2009)
Issue (Month): (02)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1465-6485|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1465-6485|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1983. "Non-structural measures of competition : Toward a synthesis of alternatives," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 349-353.
- Molyneux, Phil & Lloyd-Williams, D. M. & Thornton, John, 1994. "Competitive conditions in european banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 445-459, May.
- International Monetary Fund, 2003. "Germany; Financial System Stability Assessment, including Reports on the Observance of Standards and Codes on the following topics: Banking Supervision, Securities Regulation, Insurance Regulation, Mo," IMF Staff Country Reports 03/343, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2004. "Germany's Three-Pillar Banking System; Cross-Country Perspectives in Europe," IMF Occasional Papers 233, International Monetary Fund.
- Mamatzakis, E. & Staikouras, C. & Koutsomanoli-Fillipaki, N., 2005. "Competition and concentration in the banking sector of the South Eastern European region," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 192-209, June.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000.
"Competition, concentration and their relationship: an empirical analysis of the banking industry,"
Research Series Supervision (discontinued)
30, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Bikker, Jacob A. & Haaf, Katharina, 2002. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: An empirical analysis of the banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2191-2214, November.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2001. "Competition, Concentration and their Relationship: an EmpiricalAnalysis of the Banking Industry," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 68, Netherlands Central Bank.
- P. Coccorese, 1998.
"Assessing the competitive conditions in the Italian banking system: some empirical evidence,"
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 51(205), pages 171-191.
- P. Coccorese, 1998. "Assessing the competitive conditions in the Italian banking system: some empirical evidence," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 51(205), pages 171-191.
- Gaston Gelos & Jorge Roldos, 2002.
"Consolidation and Market Structure in Emerging Market Banking Systems,"
IMF Working Papers
02/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Gelos, R. G. & Roldos, Jorge, 2004. "Consolidation and market structure in emerging market banking systems," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 39-59, March.
- Hondroyiannis, George & Lolos, Sarantis & Papapetrou, Evangelia, 1999. "Assessing competitive conditions in the Greek banking system," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 377-391, November.
- Barajas, Adolfo & Steiner, Roberto & Salazar, Natalia, 2000. "The impact of liberalization and foreign investment in Colombia's financial sector," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 157-196, October.
- Molyneux, Philip & Thornton, John & Michael Llyod-Williams, D., 1996. "Competition and market contestability in Japanese commercial banking," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 33-45, February.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1999. "The Competitive Impact of Disclosure Requirements in the Credit Card Industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 183-98, March.
- De Bandt, Olivier & Davis, E. Philip, 2000. "Competition, contestability and market structure in European banking sectors on the eve of EMU," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1045-1066, June.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 2004. "Comment on "What Drives Bank Competition? Some International Evidence" by Stijn Claessens and Luc Laeven," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 585-92, June.
- Coccorese, Paolo, 2004. "Banking competition and macroeconomic conditions: a disaggregate analysis," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 203-219, July.
- Hempell, Hannah S., 2002. "Testing for Competition Among German Banks," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,04, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Measures of competition and concentration in the banking industry: a review of the literature," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 27, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- J.A. Bikker & J.M. Groeneveld, 1998. "Competition and Concentration in the EU Banking Industry," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 8, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:germec:v:10:y:2009:i::p:50-70. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.