An Alternative Core Inflation Measure
We combine the ideas of the trimmed mean and the Edgeworth index to construct an alternative measure of core inflation named 'Trim of Most Volatile Components (TMVC)'. At each point of time, this measure trims away the components of the price index that have been most volatile in the recent past. Statistical tests indicate that neither the trimmed mean nor the Edgeworth index dominates the TMVC in terms of tracking trend inflation. Copyright 2009 The Author. Journal Compilation 2009 Verein für Socialpolitik and Blackwell Publishing Ltd. 2009.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2009)
Issue (Month): (05)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1465-6485|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1465-6485|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark A. Wynne, 2008.
"Core inflation: a review of some conceptual issues,"
Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 205-228.
- Wynne, Mark A., 1999. "Core inflation: a review of some conceptual issues," Working Papers 9903, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Wynne, Mark A., 1999. "Core inflation: a review of some conceptual issues," Working Paper Series 0005, European Central Bank.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti & Rodney L. Wiggins, 1997. "Efficient inflation estimation," Working Paper 9707, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti & Rodney L. Wiggins II, 1997. "Efficient Inflation Estimation," NBER Working Papers 6183, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan-Luis Vega & Mark A. Wynne, 2003. "A First Assessment of Some Measures of Core Inflation for the Euro Area," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 4, pages 269-306, 08.
- Vega, Juan-Luis & Wynne, Mark A., 2002. "A first assessment of some measures of core inflation for the euro area," Working Papers 0205, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Hogan, Seamus & Marianne Johnson & Thérèse Laflèche, 2001. "Core Inflation," Technical Reports 89, Bank of Canada.
- Michael Pedersen, 2009. "An Alternative Core Inflation Measure," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 10, pages 139-164, 05.
- Michael Pedersen, 2006. "An Alternative Measure of Core Inflation," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 366, Central Bank of Chile.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1994. "Measuring Core Inflation," NBER Chapters, in: Monetary Policy, pages 195-219 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael F. Bryan & Stephen G. Cecchetti, 1993. "Measuring Core Inflation," NBER Working Papers 4303, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Smith, Julie K, 2004. "Weighted Median Inflation: Is This Core Inflation?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(2), pages 253-263, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)