How to Finance Social Health Insurance: Issues in the German Reform Debate
In view of the rapidly rising contribution rates in the Statutory Health Insurance system and the persistently high unemployment rate, Germany has recently debated radical changes in the mode of health care financing. Among the controversial reform proposals were the possible expansion of mandatory membership to the whole population and the uncoupling of health insurance contributions from wage income. The main arguments in the German debate are presented and discussed. It is shown that there are valid welfare-economic reasons both for universal coverage and income-independent contributions. Moreover, it is demonstrated that the efficiency gains implicit in a transition to flat-rate contributions can be achieved in a distributionally neutral way if the measure is combined with an appropriate reform of the income tax system. Finally, it is shown that the replacement of pay-as-you-go financing by funding within social health insurance, while seemingly increasing the sustainability of the system, may create important additional problems. Copyright 2004 The International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 29 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Route de Malagnou 53, CH - 1208 Geneva|
Phone: +41-22 707 66 00
Fax: +41-22 736 75 36
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1018-5895
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1018-5895|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Homburg, Stefan, 2000. "Compulsory savings in the welfare state," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 233-239, August.
- Cochrane, John H, 1995. "Time-Consistent Health Insurance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(3), pages 445-473, June.
- Kifmann, Mathias, 2002. "Insuring Premium Risk in Competitive Health Insurance Markets," Beiträge zur Finanzwissenschaft, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 1, volume 15, number urn:isbn:9783161477409.
- Baumann, Florian & Meier, Volker & Werding, Martin, 2008.
"Transferable ageing provisions in individual health insurance contracts,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20150, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Florian Baumann & Volker Meier & Martin Werding, 2008. "Transferable Ageing Provisions in Individual Health Insurance Contracts," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9, pages 287-311, 08.
- Florian Baumann & Volker Meier & Martin Werding, 2004. "Transferable Ageing Provisions in Individual Health Insurance Contracts," CESifo Working Paper Series 1116, CESifo Group Munich.
- Florian Baumann & Volker Meier & Martin Werding, 2006. "Transferable Ageing Provisions in Individual Health Insurance Contracts," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 32, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Friedrich Breyer & Andreas Haufler, 2000.
"Health Care Reform: Separating Insurance from Income Redistribution,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
205, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Friedrich Breyer & Andreas Haufler, 2000. "Health Care Reform: Separating Insurance from Income Redistribution," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 7(4), pages 445-461, August.
- Breyer, Friedrich & Haufler, Andreas, 2000. "Health Care Reform: Separating Insurance from Income Redistribution," Munich Reprints in Economics 20114, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Breyer, Friedrich & Haufler, Andreas, 1999. "Health care reform: Separating insurance from income redistribution," Discussion Papers, Series I 296, University of Konstanz, Department of Economics.
- Breyer, Friedrich & Franz, Wolfgang & Homburg, Stefan & Schnabel, Reinhold & Wille, Eberhard, 2004. "Reform der sozialen Sicherung," EconStor Books, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, number 92399, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:geneva:v:29:y:2004:i:4:p:679-688. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.