Transboundary Fishery: A Differential Game Model
We consider a differential game between two players, where one player has the first-mover advantage. We compare the equilibrium of this model with the one generated by a conventional symmetric model. The existence of a first mover results in more conservationist exploitation in the aggregate. We also consider the implication of departures from the equilibrium. If the leader can commit to decrease its fishing effort over a finite interval of time, then the follower may respond by increasing, or decreasing, its catch rate, depending on the length of the commitment period. Copyright 2002 by The London School of Economics and Political Science
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 69 (2002)
Issue (Month): 274 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE|
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0427
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0013-0427|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Crabbe, Philippe & Van Long, Ngo, 1993.
"Entry deterrence and overexploitation of the fishery,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 679-704, July.
- Crabbe, P. & Long, N.V., 1988. "Entry Deterrence And Overexploitation Of The Fishery," Working Papers 8804, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Crabbe, P. & Van Long, N., 1991. "Entry Deterrence and Overexploitation of the Fishery," Working Papers 9101, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Chiarella, Carl, et al, 1984. "On the Economics of International Fisheries," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 85-92, February.
- Fischer, Ronald D. & Mirman, Leonard J., 1992. "Strategic dynamic interaction : Fish wars," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 267-287, April.
- LÃ©onard,Daniel & Long,Ngo van, 1992. "Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimization in Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521331586, Diciembre.
- LÃ©onard,Daniel & Long,Ngo van, 1992. "Optimal Control Theory and Static Optimization in Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521337465, Diciembre.
- Kathleen A. Miller, 1996. "Salmon Stock Variability And The Political Economy Of The Pacific Salmon Treaty," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(3), pages 112-129, 07.
- Plourde, C G, 1970. "A Simple Model of Replenishable Natural Resource Exploitation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 518-522, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)