Job Vacancy Rates in the Firm: An Empirical Analysis
This paper presents some evidence on the magnitudes and determinants of job vacancy rates in U.S. firms based on data from a survey in 1980 and 1982. The results show low overall vacancy rates but substantial variation across firms, occupations, industries, and local areas. Local unemployment, unionization, and employer size have negative effects on vacancy rates, while turnover and sales growth have positive effects. The results are generally consistent with the predictions of job-matching models. Copyright 1994 by The London School of Economics and Political Science.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 61 (1994)
Issue (Month): 241 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0427
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0013-0427|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harry J. Holzer, 1989.
"Wages, Employer Costs, and Employee Performance in the Firm,"
NBER Working Papers
2830, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harry J. Holzer, 1990. "Wages, employer costs, and employee performance in the firm," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 43(3), pages 147-164, February.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1983.
"Longitudinal Analyses of the Effects of Trade Unions,"
NBER Working Papers
1207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Freeman, Richard B, 1984. "Longitudinal Analyses of the Effects of Trade Unions," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 2(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Freeman, Richard Barry, 1984. "Longitudinal Analyses of the Effects of Trade Unions," Scholarly Articles 4631951, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Albrecht, James & Axell, Bo, 1983.
"An Equilibrium Model of Search Unemployment,"
83-10, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- McKinley L. Blackburn & David E. Bloom & Richard B. Freeman, 1989.
"The Declining Economic Position of Less-Skilled American Males,"
NBER Working Papers
3186, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blackburn-Mckinley, L. & Bloom, D.E. & Freeman, R.B., 1989. "The Declining Economic Position Of Less-Skilled American Males," Discussion Papers 1989_41, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Jackman, R & Layard, Richard & Pissarides, C, 1989. "On Vacancies," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 51(4), pages 377-94, November.
- Barron, John M & Bishop, John & Dunkelberg, William C, 1985. "Employer Search: The Interviewing and Hiring of New Employees," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(1), pages 43-52, February.
- Hansen, Bent, 1970. "Excess Demand, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Wages," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Harry J. Holzer, 1988. "Structural/Frictional and Demand-Deficient Unemployment in Local Labor Markets," NBER Working Papers 2652, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hosios, Arthur J, 1990. "Factor Market Search and the Structure of Simple General Equilibrium Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 325-55, April.
- Cragg, John G, 1971. "Some Statistical Models for Limited Dependent Variables with Application to the Demand for Durable Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 829-44, September.
- Sattinger, Michael, 1990. "Unemployment, the Market for Interviews, and Wage Employment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 356-71, April.
- Holzer, Harry J & Katz, Lawrence F & Krueger, Alan B, 1991. "Job Queues and Wages," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(3), pages 739-68, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:econom:v:61:y:1994:i:241:p:17-36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.