Distributional Effects of FDI: How the Interaction of FDI and Economic Policy Affects Poor Households in Bolivia
This article provides a CGE analysis of the medium to long-run impact of FDI inflows on poverty and income distribution in Bolivia. The simulation results suggest that FDI inflows enhance economic growth and reduce poverty. However, the income distribution typically becomes more unequal. In particular, FDI widens disparities between urban and rural areas. The Bolivian government may promote the growth-enhancing and poverty-alleviating effects by overcoming labour-market segmentation and providing complementary public investment in infrastructure. But simulated policy reforms or alternative productivity scenarios are hardly effective in reducing the economic divide. Copyright 2007 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 25 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (07)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 111 Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1 7JD|
Phone: +44 (0)20 7922 0300
Fax: +44 (0)20 7922 0399
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0950-6764
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0950-6764|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Nunnenkamp, 2004.
"To What Extent Can Foreign Direct Investment Help Achieve International Development Goals?,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(5), pages 657-677, 05.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2002. "To what extent can foreign direct investment help achieve international development goals?," Kiel Working Papers 1128, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Rainer Thiele & Daniel Piazolo, 2003. "A Social Accounting Matrix for Bolivia Featuring Formal and Informal Activities," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 40(120), pages 285-318.
- Lay, Jann & Thiele, Rainer & Wiebelt, Manfred, 2004. "Pro-poor growth in Bolivia: accounting for external shocks and policy reforms," Kiel Working Papers 1231, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Aitken, Brian & Harrison, Ann & Lipsey, Robert E., 1996. "Wages and foreign ownership A comparative study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 345-371, May.
- Brian Aitken & Ann Harrison & Robert E. Lipsey, 1995. "Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela and the United States," NBER Working Papers 5102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, B. & Harrison, A. & Lipsey, R.E., 1995. "Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States," Papers 95-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Spatz, Julius & Steiner, Susan, 2002. "Post-Reform Trends in Wage Inequality: The Case of Urban Bolivia," Documentos de trabajo 9/2002, Instituto de Investigaciones Socio-Económicas (IISEC), Universidad Católica Boliviana.
- Steiner, Susan & Spatz, Julius, 2002. "Post-reform trends in wage inequality: the case of urban Bolivia," Kiel Working Papers 1126, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Zhao, Yaohui, 2001. "Foreign direct investment and relative wages: The case of China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 40-57.
- Richard Baldwin, 1989. "The Growth Effects of 1992," NBER Working Papers 3119, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Hanson, Gordon H., 1997. "Foreign direct investment and relative wages: Evidence from Mexico's maquiladoras," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 371-393, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Direct Investment and Relative Wages: Evidence from Mexico's Maquiladoras," NBER Working Papers 5122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kevin Sylwester, 2005. "Foreign direct investment, growth and income inequality in less developed countries," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 289-300.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2002. "Home and Host Country Effects of FDI," NBER Working Papers 9293, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Willem te Velde , Dirk, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment and Income Inequality in Latin America," Documentos de trabajo 4/2003, Instituto de Investigaciones Socio-Económicas (IISEC), Universidad Católica Boliviana.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2005. "Growth Strategies," Handbook of Economic Growth,in: Philippe Aghion & Steven Durlauf (ed.), Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 14, pages 967-1014 Elsevier.
- Dani Rodrick, 2003. "Growth Strategies," Economics working papers 2003-17, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Dani Rodrik, 2003. "Growth Strategies," NBER Working Papers 10050, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2003. "Growth Strategies," CEPR Discussion Papers 4100, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pan-Long Tsai, 1995. "Foreign direct investment and income inequality: Further evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 469-483, March.
- Giovanni S.F. Bruno & Rosario Crinò & Anna M. Falzoni, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment, Wage Inequality, and Skilled Labor Demand in EU Accession Countries," KITeS Working Papers 154, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Feb 2004.
- Giovanni S.F. Bruno & Rosario Crinò & Anna M. Falzoni, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment, Wage Inequality, and Skilled Labor Demand in EU Accession Countries," Development Working Papers 188, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Giovanni S.F. Bruno & Anna M.Falzoni & Rosario Crinò, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment, Wage Inequality, and Skilled Labor Demand in EU Accession Countries," Working Papers (-2012) 0501, University of Bergamo, Department of Economics.
- Stephan Klasen & Melanie Grosse & Rainer Thiele & Jann Lay & Julius Spatz & Manfred Wiebelt, 2004. "Operationalizing Pro-Poor Growth - Country Case Study: Bolivia," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 101, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Manuel Agosin & Roberto Machado, 2005. "Foreign Investment in Developing Countries: Does it Crowd in Domestic Investment?," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 149-162.
- Manuel R. AGOSIN & Ricardo MAYER, 2000. "Foreign Investment In Developing Countries, Does It Crowd In Domestic Investment?," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 146, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Edward M. Graham, 2000. "Fighting the Wrong Enemy: Antiglobal Activists and Multinational Enterprises," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 91, November.
- Jemio, Luis Carlos & Wiebelt, Manfred, 2003. "¿Existe Espacio para Políticas Anti-Shocks en Bolivia? Lecciones de un Análisis basado en un Modelo de Equilibrio General Computable," Documentos de trabajo 1/2003, Instituto de Investigaciones Socio-Económicas (IISEC), Universidad Católica Boliviana.
- Theodore H. Moran & Edward M. Graham & Magnus Blomstrom, 2005. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Promote Development?," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 3810, November.
- Easterly, William-R, 2004. "Globalization, Inequality, and Development: The Big Picture," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 22(S1), pages 57-87, December.
- Jann Lay & Rainer Thiele & Manfred Wiebelt, 2008. "Shocks, Policy Reforms and Pro-Poor Growth in Bolivia: A Simulation Analysis," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 37-56, 02. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)