Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and Exports: A Growth Nexus Revisited
Developing countries in Asia mostly rely on FDI to acquire capital funds and advance techniques of production and business management. After adopting the liberalization policies in 1990?s, the inflow of FDI in Pakistan has increased many folds and likewise the export is also growing continuously. This paper explores the impact of foreign direct investment on Pakistan?s overall exports relation with FDI for the period 1971-2009. The Augmented Dickey Fuller Test (ADF), Dickey Fuller-GLS and Philip Perron tests are being applied to check the stationarity of the variables. The results depict significant association of foreign direct investment with over all exports in the long run. However world? income is insignificantly linked with exports in the short run. The long run results are opposite to that of earlier work (Anwar, 1985). The possible justifications for difference in results are different methodologies used and the difference in time period. Real effective exchange rate, economic growth and relative prices show considerable association with export performance in the long run. The short run behavior show different results. Policy makers of Pakistan may focus on raising exports and apply policy tools through using channel of FDI by raising FDI in the long run. However, in the short run FDI may not be an effective tool.
Volume (Year): 3 (2013)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Sadeeq Block, Near Fawara Chowk, Abbasia Town, Rahim Yar Khan - 64200, Punjab, Pakistan|
Web page: http://www.aessweb.com/
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grigoris Zarotiadis, 2008. "FDI and International Trade Relations: A Theoretical Approach," International Trade and Finance Association Conference Papers 1136, International Trade and Finance Association.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Pesaran, M.H., 1996.
"The Role of Economic Theory in Modelling the Long Run,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9612, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M Hashem, 1997. "The Role of Economic Theory in Modelling the Long Run," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(440), pages 178-91, January.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Bruce E. Hansen, 1990. "Statistical Inference in Instrumental Variables Regression with I(1) Processes," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(1), pages 99-125.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Michael W. Klein, 1999.
"International trade and factor mobility: an empirical investigation,"
81, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Michael W. Klein, 1999. "International Trade and Factor Mobility: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 7196, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zeshan Atique & Mohsin Hasnain Ahmad & Usman Azhar, 2004. "The Impact of FDI on Economic Growth under Foreign Trade Regimes: A Case Study of Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 43(4), pages 707-718.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984.
"A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 451-71, June.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "A Simple Theory of International Trade with Multinational Corporations," Scholarly Articles 3445092, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Muhammad Tariq Majeed & Eatzaz Ahmad, 2006. "Determinants of Exports in Developing Countries," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 45(4), pages 1265-1276.
- Nguyen Thanh Xuan & Yuqing Xing, 2008. "Foreign direct investment and exports," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 16(2), pages 183-197, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:asi:ijoass:2013:p:2170-2182. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qazi Muhammad Imran)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.