Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Import Demand of Thailand
The impact of exchange rate uncertainty on imports is still controversial because there is no consensus on whether the impact is negative or positive as evidenced from the results of previous studies for both developed and emerging market economies. The present study investigates the impact of real exchange rate uncertainty on import demand of Thailand. The period of study is from July 1997 to December 2011. Exchange rate uncertainty is measured by an AR(1)-EGARCH(1,1) process. In addition, bounds testing for cointeration is employed and the short-run dynamics are analyzed. The results show that all variables are cointegrated. The negative impact of exchange rate uncertainty on Thailand’s imports is found. The results also indicate that the presence of higher uncertainty in real effective exchange rate in the short run cannot induce a large number of manufacturing firms to increase or decrease their imports of capital equipment and raw materials so as to hedge against real depreciation in the near future. Even though there is no short-run impact, but the long-run negative impact of real exchange rate uncertainty on real imports is large and highly significant under the floating exchange rate regime. In the long run, a decline in real exchange rate uncertainty can worsen the country’s trade balance by slightly causing the demand for aggregate imports to fall, which can harm industrial production in the future. Therefore, stabilization of real effective exchange rate via major nominal exchange rates may deem necessary.
Volume (Year): 3 (2013)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Sadeeq Block, Near Fawara Chowk, Abbasia Town, Rahim Yar Khan - 64200, Punjab, Pakistan|
Web page: http://www.aessweb.com/
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caporale, Tony & Doroodian, Khosrow, 1994. "Exchange rate variability and the flow of international trade," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 49-54, September.
- Warner, Dennis & Kreinin, Mordechai E, 1983. "Determinants of International Trade Flows," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 96-104, February.
- Bruno Coric & Geoff Pugh, 2010. "The effects of exchange rate variability on international trade: a meta-regression analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(20), pages 2631-2644.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Tuck Cheong Tang, 2008. "Aggregate Import Demand Function for Japan: A Cointegration Re-investigation," Global Economic Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 363-377.
- Hooper, Peter & Kohlhagen, Steven W., 1978. "The effect of exchange rate uncertainty on the prices and volume of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 483-511, November.
- Miles, Marc A, 1979. "The Effects of Devaluation on the Trade Balance and the Balance of Payments: Some New Results," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(3), pages 600-20, June.
- Siregar, Reza & Rajan, Ramkishen S., 2004.
"Impact of exchange rate volatility on Indonesia's trade performance in the 1990s,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 218-240, June.
- Reza Siregar & Ramkishen Rajan, 2002. "Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility on IndonesiaÂ’s Trade Performance in the 1990s," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2002-05, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Padma Gotur, 1985. "Effects of Exchange Rate Volatility on Trade: Some Further Evidence (Effets de l'instabilitÃ© des taux de change sur le commerce mondial: nouvelles constatations) (Efectos de la inestabilidad de los t," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 475-512, September.
- Kenen, Peter B & Rodrik, Dani, 1986. "Measuring and Analyzing the Effects of Short-term Volatility in Real Exchange Rates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 311-15, May.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Himarios, Daniel, 1989. "Do Devaluations Improve the Trade Balance? The Evidence Revisited," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 27(1), pages 143-68, January.
- Mohsen Bahmani & Hanafiah Harvey & Scott W. Hegerty, 2013. "Empirical tests of the Marshall-Lerner condition: a literature review," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 40(3), pages 411-443, May.
- Paul De Grauwe, 1988. "Exchange Rate Variability and the Slowdown in Growth of International Trade," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(1), pages 63-84, March.
- Ekrem Erdem & Saban Nazlioglu & Cumhur Erdem, 2010. "Exchange rate uncertainty and agricultural trade: panel cointegration analysis for Turkey," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(6), pages 537-543, November.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Yanhong Zhang & Hui Chang & Jean Gauger, 2006. "The Threshold Effect of Exchange Rate Volatility on Trade Volume: Evidence from G-7 Countries," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 461-476.
- Hasan, Shahriar & Wallace, Myles, 1996. "Real exchange rate volatility and exchange rate regimes: Evidence from long-term data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 67-73, July.
- Arize, Augustine C. & Osang, Thomas & Slottje, Daniel J., 2008. "Exchange-rate volatility in Latin America and its impact on foreign trade," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 33-44.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:asi:aeafrj:2013:p:1269-1280. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qazi Muhammad Imran)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.