Factors Affecting the Nominal Exchange Rate of Pakistan: An Econometric Investigation (1982-2008)
Which macroeconomic factors determine the nominal exchange rate of Pak-rupee against US dollar during the period 1982-2008? This issue has been investigated in this paper by using Ordinary Least Squares and Johansen’s Cointegration techniques. The results show that both monetary and real factors i.e. money supply, trade balance, foreign exchange reserves, inflation and interest rate have long run relationship with the exchange rate of Pak-rupee. However, the granger causality test results show that the relationship between most of the macroeconomic variables and nominal exchange rate bi-directional.
Volume (Year): 2 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aessweb.com/
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jordi Galí & Richard Clarida, 1993.
"Sources of real exchage rate fluctuations: How important are nominal shocks?,"
Economics Working Papers
66, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jan 1994.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali, 1994. "Sources of real exchange rate fluctuations: how important are nominal shocks?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Apr.
- Clarida, Richard & Gali, Jordi, 1994. "Sources of real exchange-rate fluctuations: How important are nominal shocks?," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 1-56, December.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali, 1994. "Sources of Real Exchange Rate Fluctuations: How Important are Nominal Shocks?," NBER Working Papers 4658, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi, 1994. "Sources of Real Exchange Rate Fluctuations: How Important are Nominal Shocks?," CEPR Discussion Papers 951, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gabriele Galati & Corrinne Ho, 2001.
"Macroeconomic news and the euro/dollar exchange rate,"
BIS Working Papers
105, Bank for International Settlements.
- Gabriele Galati & Corrinne Ho, 2003. "Macroeconomic News and the Euro/Dollar Exchange Rate," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 32(3), pages 371-398, November.
- Stockman, Alan C, 1980.
"A Theory of Exchange Rate Determination,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(4), pages 673-98, August.
- Hau, Harald, 2002.
"Real Exchange Rate Volatility and Economic Openness: Theory and Evidence,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(3), pages 611-30, August.
- Hau, Harald, 2000. "Real Exchange Rate Volatility and Economic Openness: Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 2356, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lastrapes, William D, 1992. "Sources of Fluctuations in Real and Nominal Exchange Rates," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 530-39, August.
- Richard K. Lyons., 1995.
"Foreign Exchange Volume: Sound and Fury Signifying Nothing?,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
RPF-243, University of California at Berkeley.
- Richard K. Lyons, 1996. "Foreign Exchange Volume: Sound and Fury Signifying Nothing?," NBER Chapters, in: The Microstructure of Foreign Exchange Markets, pages 183-208 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard K. Lyons, 1995. "Foreign Exchange Volume: Sound and Fury Signifying Nothing?," NBER Working Papers 4984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Berka & Michael B. Devereux, 2010.
"What determines European real exchange rates?,"
CAMA Working Papers
2010-17, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Berka, Martin & Devereux, Michael B., 2011. "What determines European real exchange rates?," Working Paper Series 1687, Victoria University of Wellington, School of Economics and Finance.
- Martin Berka & Michael B. Devereux, 2010. "What Determines European Real Exchange Rates?," NBER Working Papers 15753, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Berka & Michael B. Devereux, 2010. "What determines European real exchange rates?," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 46, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Jose Sanchez-Fung, 2003.
"Non-linear modelling of daily exchange rate returns, volatility, and 'news' in a small developing economy,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 247-250.
- Sanchez-Fung, Jose R., 2002. "Non-linear modeling of daily exchange rate returns, volatility, and 'news' in a small developing economy," Economics Discussion Papers 2002-4, School of Economics, Kingston University London.
- Eisa Aleisa & Sel Dibooĝlu, 2002. "Sources of real exchange rate movements in Saudi Arabia," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 101-110, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:asi:aeafrj:2012:p:421-428. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qazi Muhammad Imran)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.