Exploring the Determinant Factors of Bank‘s Net Earnings
The paper examines the determinants of bank net earnings defined as profit after tax and deductibles in selected banks in Nigeria. Data used were extracted from balance sheets and income statement accounts and analyzed with the Ordinary Least square regression model. The results confirmed that customer’s deposits and reserves all impacted positively on the net earnings but only one bank’s customers deposit was statistically significant. Also the reserves of two banks were significant. Other variables like loan and advances was negatively related to net earnings contrary to a prior expectation but one bank’s loan and advances was statistically significant. Lastly, bad and doubtful debt has the negative expected sign with two banks being statistically significant. Overall the fit of the model was good. It was therefore recommended that banks should be prudent in advancing loans to their customers.
Volume (Year): 2 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Sadeeq Block, Near Fawara Chowk, Abbasia Town, Rahim Yar Khan - 64200, Punjab, Pakistan|
Web page: http://www.aessweb.com/
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stiroh, Kevin J. & Rumble, Adrienne, 2006. "The dark side of diversification: The case of US financial holding companies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 2131-2161, August.
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1900, The World Bank.
- Kosmidou, Kyriaki & Pasiouras, Fotios & Tsaklanganos, Angelos, 2007. "Domestic and multinational determinants of foreign bank profits: The case of Greek banks operating abroad," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Robert DeYoung & Tara Rice, 2004. "Noninterest Income and Financial Performance at U.S. Commercial Banks," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 101-127, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:asi:aeafrj:2012:p:330-336. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qazi Muhammad Imran)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.