The Determinants of Stock Prices in Pakistan
Stock Investment is always a risky proposition and investors are reluctant to invest in Stock Market. If they came to know about the exact factors influencing the stock prices, they will invest in stocks confidently. This study examines the empirical relationship between the stock prices, financial fundamentals and macroeconomic factors in Karachi Stock Exchange. By applying the dynamic panel Generalized Method of Moments (GMM) technique on the data of 221 firms during 1995-2006, the analysis attempts to obtain efficient parameter estimates and to check the consistency of the link between stock price behavior, company fundamentals and macroeconomic factors. Several studies have been conducted to identify the factors of stock prices for a variety of countries, and the results have been mixed. It is found that previous behavior of stock prices, company size, previous earnings per share are the most important factors. In addition, macroeconomic indicators like, GDP growth, rate of interest and financial depth have significant relationship with the stock prices. Market to book value, share turnover ratio and inflation can also influence the stock price behavior. The corporate reforms of 2002 are responsible of increase in stock prices from 2002 to 2006. Investors in Pakistan have to decide which stock should be purchased. The results of this study will provide guideline to the investors in stock selection. While taking decisions they should take into account company informations as well as macroeconomic situation of the country simultaneously. The companies can set their policies and strategies in the light of relatively important factors, for business survival and success. The possible impact of macroeconomic factors may help the policy makers while setting monetary and fiscal policies.
Volume (Year): 1 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Sadeeq Block, Near Fawara Chowk, Abbasia Town, Rahim Yar Khan - 64200, Punjab, Pakistan|
Web page: http://www.aessweb.com/
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Husain, Fazal & Qayyum, Abdul, 2006.
"Stock Market Liberalisations in the South Asian Region,"
1716, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fazal Husain & Abdul Qayyum, 2006. "Stock Market Liberalisations in the South Asian Region," PIDE-Working Papers 2006:6, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Fazal Husain & Abdul Qayyum, 2006. "Stock Market Liberalisations in the South Asian Region," Finance Working Papers 22195, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, "undated". "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Stephen Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Fazal Husain & Tariq Mahmood, 2001. "The Stock Market and the Economy in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 40(2), pages 107-114.
- Hsain, Fazal & Mahmood, Tariq, 2001. "The Stock Market and the Economy in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 2721, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Husain, Fazal & Mahmood, Tariq, 2001. "The Stock Market and the Economy in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 4215, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fazal Husain & Tariq Mahmood, 1999. "Monetary Expansion and Stock Returns in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 769-776.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:asi:aeafrj:2011:p:276-291. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qazi Muhammad Imran)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.