IDEAS home Printed from https://ideas.repec.org/a/aoj/joenvi/2015p5-9.html
   My bibliography  Save this article

Evaluating the Problems of Population Resettlement from the Construction of Shiroro Hydropower Project, Nigeria

Author

Listed:
  • Liman H.M

    (Department of Geography, Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai, Nigeria)

  • Abraham D.D

    (Department of Geography, Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria)

  • Suleiman Y.M

    (Department of Geography, Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria)

Abstract

This study focused on the evaluation on the problems of population Resettlement from the construction of Shiroro Hydropower Project, Nigeria. Two villages (Zumba and GaladimaKogo) directly affected, were selected for the household questionnaire survey and interview schedule. The results indicates that environmental problems such as deforestation, erosion, land degradation and flooding as major problems affecting the livelihood of the communities in the study area were identified. The presence of the lake increased the rate and incidence of water-related diseases such as malaria, Cholera, river blindness and bilharzias. With respect to resettlement only 46% of the populations were compensated, the remaining 54% are yet to be compensated 24 years after the dam commenced operation. Conclusively, the people were only evacuated and displaced from their ancestral homes without been properly resettled and compensated for their social, economic and material loses. It is recommended that dam operators and regulatory authorities meet up their commitments to properly resettle and compensate the affected communities.

Suggested Citation

  • Liman H.M & Abraham D.D & Suleiman Y.M, 2015. "Evaluating the Problems of Population Resettlement from the Construction of Shiroro Hydropower Project, Nigeria," Journal of Environments, Asian Online Journal Publishing Group, vol. 2(1), pages 5-9.
  • Handle: RePEc:aoj:joenvi:2015:p:5-9
    as

    Download full text from publisher

    File URL: http://www.asianonlinejournals.com/index.php/JOEN/article/download/283/pdf_13
    Download Restriction: no

    File URL: http://www.asianonlinejournals.com/index.php/JOEN/article/view/283
    Download Restriction: no

    Corrections

    All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aoj:joenvi:2015:p:5-9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.

    For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Lim). General contact details of provider: http://www.asianonlinejournals.com/index.php/JOEN .

    If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.

    We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .

    If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.

    Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.

    IDEAS is a RePEc service hosted by the Research Division of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis . RePEc uses bibliographic data supplied by the respective publishers.