Techniques To Measure Social Benefits And Costs In Agriculture: A Survey
Development is traced of the concepts of consumer's and producer's surplus, and the uses and limitations of these concepts for public policy analysis are examined. The applications to price stabilization and policy programs are surveyed. The use of decision theory as an alternative to measurement of surplus is also examined.
Volume (Year): (1977)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hueth, Darrell & Schmitz, Andrew, 1972. "International Trade in Intermediate and Final Goods: Some Welfare Implications of Destabilized Prices," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 351-65, August.
- Dillon, John L., 1971. "An Expository Review of Bernoullian Decision Theory in Agriculture: Is Utility Futility?," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 39(01), March.
- Zvi Griliches, 1958. "Research Costs and Social Returns: Hybrid Corn and Related Innovations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 419.
- W. M. Corden, 1957. "The Calculation Op The Cost Op Protection1," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 33(64), pages 29-51, 04.
- John V. Krutilla, 1961. "Welfare Aspects of Benefit-Cost Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69, pages 226.
- Derek R. Byerlee & Jock R. Anderson, 1969.
"Value Of Predictors Of Uncontrolled Factors In Response Functions,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 13(2), pages 118-127, December.
- Byerlee, Derek R. & Anderson, Jock R., 1969. "Value Of Predictors Of Uncontrolled Factors In Response Functions," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 13(02), December.
- Massell, Benton F, 1970. "Some Welfare Implications of International Price Stabilization," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 404-17, March-Apr.
- Wisecarver, Daniel, 1974. "The Social Costs of Input-Market Distortions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(3), pages 359-72, June.
- Glaister, Stephen, 1974. "Generalised Consumer Surplus and Public Transport Pricing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 84(336), pages 849-67, December.
- Hirshleifer, Jack, 1971. "The Private and Social Value of Information and the Reward to Inventive Activity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(4), pages 561-74, September.
- Massell, Benton F, 1969. "Price Stabilization and Welfare," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 284-98, May.
- Freebairn, J W, 1976. "The Value and Distribution of the Benefits of Commodity Price Outlook Information," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 52(138), pages 199-212, June.
- Musgrave, Richard A, 1969. "Cost-Benefit Analysis and the Theory of Public Finance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 7(3), pages 797-806, September.
- Willig, Robert D, 1976. "Consumer's Surplus without Apology," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 589-97, September.
- Kawamata, Kunio, 1974. "Price Distortion and Potential Welfare," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(3), pages 435-60, May.
- Currie, John Martin & Murphy, John A & Schmitz, Andrew, 1971. "The Concept of Economic Surplus and its Use in Economic Analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 81(324), pages 741-99, December.
- John C. Hause, 1966. "The Welfare Costs of Disequilibrium Exchange Rates," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 333.
- Cicchetti, Charles J & Fisher, Anthony C & Smith, V Kerry, 1976. "An Econometric Evaluation of a Generalized Consumer Surplus Measure: The Mineral King Controversy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(6), pages 1259-76, November.
- Dardis, Rachel & Learn, Elmer W., 1967. "Measures of the Degree and Cost of Economic Protection of Agriculture in Selected Countries," Technical Bulletins 171596, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Rader, J Trout, III, 1976. "The Welfare Loss from Price Distortions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(6), pages 1253-57, November.
- Snape, R H, 1969. "Sugar: Costs of Protection and Taxation," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 36(141), pages 29-41, February.
- Burt, Oscar R & Brewer, Durward, 1971. "Estimation of Net Social Benefits from Outdoor Recreation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 813-27, September.
- Harry G. Johnson, 1960. "The Cost of Protection and the Scientific Tariff," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68, pages 327.
- Young, Allyn A., 1928. "Increasing Returns and Economic Progress," History of Economic Thought Articles, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 38, pages 527-542.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1976. "The Distribution of Welfare Gains from Price Stabilization: The Case of Multiplicative Disturbances," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 17(1), pages 133-48, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ueraer:148082. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.