Agriculture, Environmental Services and Agro-Tourism in the Dominican Republic
This paper analyzes the links between agriculture and tourism. A contingent valuation study assesses tourist's willingness to pay (WTP) for agro-tourism and agriculture's positive environmental services and related positive externalities. The paper analyzes factors influencing tourist preferences in the Dominican Republic (DR) -- tourist income, the local tourist destination, sex, and nationality stand out among these factors. Estimates are given for different WTP scenarios according to farming systems. The study argues that a well developed agro-tourism industry would result in a market mechanism generating additional income of US $251 to US $364 million annually. Agro-tourist activities would have the added benefit of promoting sustainable agricultural practices.
Volume (Year): 1 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39(6) 57051
Fax: +39(6) 57053152
Web page: http://www.fao.org/es/esa/en/ejade.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary D. Thompson, 1998. "Consumer Demand for Organic Foods: What We Know and What We Need to Know," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1113-1118.
- Domenico Scalera, 1996. "Optimal consumption and the environment Choosing between ‘clean’ and ‘dirty’ goods," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 7(4), pages 375-389, June.
- Pearce, David, 1992. "Economic valuation and the natural world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 988, The World Bank.
- Peter A. Diamond & Jerry A. Hausman, 1994. "Contingent Valuation: Is Some Number Better than No Number?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 45-64, Fall.
- Karen Klonsky & Laura Tourte, 1998. "Organic Agricultural Production in the United States: Debates and Directions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1119-1124.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ejadef:12008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.