Food Security Analysis and Policies for Transition Countries
This article explores the characteristics of food security in the context of economies in transition. These special characteristics derive from the â€œlegaciesâ€ of socialist systems, both economy-wide ones and others specific to the agriculture and the food sector. Food insecurity in transition countries is considered predominantly â€œtransitoryâ€ , while social safety nets dating back to the socialist years provide some cushion. Market failures and other institutional constraints are prevalent, inhibiting the process towards improvement of the food security situation. Conflict takes a heavy toll in terms of hunger and malnutrition in economies in transition and macro level factors are at work to determine food security outcomes. At the same time, socialist legacies determine differences in food security outcomes between transition and developing countries beyond what would be explained by income differences.
Volume (Year): 03 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Viale delle Terme di Caracalla, 00100 Rome|
Phone: +39(6) 57051
Fax: +39(6) 57053152
Web page: http://www.fao.org/es/esa/en/ejade.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, Lisa C. & Haddad, Lawrence James, 2000. "Explaining child malnutrition in developing countries: a cross-country analysis," Research reports 111, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Swinnen, Jo, 1996. "Endogenous Price and Trade Policy Developments in Central European Agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(2), pages 133-60.
- Csaki, C. & Tuck, L., 2000. "Rural Development Strategy: Eastern Europe and Central Asia," Papers 484, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Graham Wagner, 1998. "Universal Service Obligations in a Competitive Telecommunications Environment, Committee on Information, Computer and Communications Policy (ICCP) Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Developmen," Prometheus, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 101-104.
- Melyukhina, Olga & Qaim, Matin & Wehrheim, Peter, 1998. "Regional Protection Rates for Food Commodities in Russia: Producer and Consumer Perspectives," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(3), pages 395-411.
- Liefert, William M. & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2002. "Changes In Agricultural Markets In Transition Economies," Agricultural Economics Reports 33945, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ejadef:112604. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.