A Monte Carlo Study for Pure and Pretest Estimators of a Panel Data Model with Spatially Autocorrelated Disturbances
This paper examines the consequences of model misspecification using a panel data model with spatially autocorrelated disturbances. The performance of several maximum likelihood estimators assuming different specifications for this model are compared using Monte Carlo experiments. These include (i) MLE of a random effects model that ignore the spatial correlation; (ii) MLE described in Anselin  which assumes that the individual effects are not spatially autocorrelated; (iii) MLE described in Kapoor, et al.  which assumes that both the individual effects and the remainder error are governed by the same spatial autocorelation; (iv) MLE described in Baltagi, et al.  which allows the spatial correlation parameter for the individual effects to be different from that of the remainder error term. The latter model encompasses the other models and allows the researcher to test these specifications as restrictions on the general model using LM and LR tests. In fact, based on these tests, we suggest a pretest estimator which is shown to perform well in Monte Carlo experiments, ranking a close second to the true MLE in mean squared error performance.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): 87-88 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://annales.ensae.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2013.
"A Generalized Spatial Panel Data Model with Random Effects,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(5-6), pages 650-685, August.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2012. "A Generalized Spatial Panel Data Model with Random Effects," CESifo Working Paper Series 3930, CESifo Group Munich.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfafermayr, 2009. "A Generalized Spatial Panel Data Model with Random Effects," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 113, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Seuck Heun Song & Won Koh, 2002.
"Testing Panel Data Regression Models with Spatial Error Correlation,"
10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002
B6-4, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Song, Seuck Heun & Koh, Won, 2003. "Testing panel data regression models with spatial error correlation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 123-150, November.
- Giles, Judith A & Giles, David E A, 1993. " Pre-test Estimation and Testing in Econometrics: Recent Developments," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 145-97, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:adr:anecst:y:2007:i:87-88:p:02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Gary-Bobo)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.