Privatisations as price reforms: Evaluating consumers' welfare changes in the U.K
This paper analyses the effects on consumers' welfare of the privatisation policy carried out in the UK since 1979. The approach we follow evaluates the privatisation of a State owned enterprise within the broader framework of the "policy reform" theory (Drèze and Stern ). By adopting this perspective, the change in consumers' welfare "with" and "without" privatisations can be studied by appropriate welfare measures. We claim that an advantage of our approach is that of being able to provide the required welfare assessment in a simplified way by means of a limited set of information. In particular, we show that a series of welfare measures only based on aggregate information can be used where one accepts the use of first and second order approximations and a few "reasonable" assumptions on the shape of demand functions. These welfare measures are subsequently used for the evaluation of the welfare effects related to price variations in seven British privatised public utilities. We conclude that the contribution to consumers' welfare of the privatisation policy in the UK, when compared to the huge transfers involved in the process, has been rather modest.
Volume (Year): (2004)
Issue (Month): 75-76 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://annales.ensae.fr/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1982.
"The Theory of Excess Burden and Optimal Taxation,"
NBER Working Papers
1025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1994.
"Tax reform and welfare measurement: do we need demand system estimation?,"
IFS Working Papers
W94/11, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Banks, James & Blundell, Richard & Lewbel, Arthur, 1996. "Tax Reform and Welfare Measurement: Do We Need Demand System Estimation?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1227-41, September.
- Roberts, Kevin, 1980.
"Price-independent welfare prescriptions,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 277-297, June.
- Ray, Ranjan, 1999.
"Marginal and Non-marginal Commodity Tax Reforms with Rank Two and Rank Three Demographic Demand Systems,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 51(4), pages 689-712, October.
- Ray, R, 1997. "Marginal and Non Marginal Commodity Tax Reforms with Rank Two and Rank Three Demographic Demand Systems," Papers 1997-02, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
- David M. Newbery, 2002. "Privatization, Restructuring, and Regulation of Network Utilities," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262640481, June.
- Deaton, Angus, 1974. "A Reconsideration of the Empirical Implications of Additive Preferences," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 84(334), pages 338-48, June.
- Newbery, David M, 1995. "The Distributional Impact of Price Changes in Hungary and the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(431), pages 847-63, July.
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1977.
"On the direction of tax reform,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 179-202, April.
- Ahmad, Ehtisham & Stern, Nicholas, 1984. "The theory of reform and indian indirect taxes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 259-298, December.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1975. "Welfare effects of tax and price changes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 103-123, February.
- Massimo Florio, 2001. "The welfare impact of a privatisation: the British Telecom case-history," Departmental Working Papers 2001-08, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Dreze, Jean & Stern, Nicholas, 1990. "Policy reform, shadow prices, and market prices," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-45, June.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:adr:anecst:y:2004:i:75-76:p:06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Gary-Bobo)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.