Assessing the Effects of Policy Changes: Lesson from the European 1992 Experience
The paper focuses on the experience of the EMS breakdown in September 1992 as a 'crucial experiment', allowing to identify subsequent changes in policy rules and to assess the invariance of private agents' behaviour to these changes. After a brief summary of the facts, the breakdown and the aftermath, we provide estimates of the change in monetary and budget policy rules for Germany (the benchmark), two 'stayers' (France and the Netherlands) and three 'leavers' (Italy, Spain and the UK). Finally, we perform tests of super exogeneity and invariance of reduced form equations for real activity, inflation and the term structure of interest rates.
Volume (Year): (2002)
Issue (Month): 67-68 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://annales.ensae.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rose, Andrew K & Svensson, Lars E O, 1993.
"European Exchange Rate Credibility Before the Fall,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
852, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rose, Andrew K. & Svensson, Lars E. O., 1994. "European exchange rate credibility before the fall," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1185-1216, June.
- Andrew K. Rose & Lars E.O. Svensson, 1993. "European Exchange Rate Credibility Before the Fall," NBER Working Papers 4495, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rose, A.K. & Svensson, L.E.O., 1993. "European Exchange Rate Credibility Before the Fall," Papers 542, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Collard, Fabrice & Fève, Patrick & Langot, François, 2000.
"Structural Inference and the Lucas Critique,"
IDEI Working Papers
111, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2001.
- Revankar, Nagesh S & Yoshino, Naoyuki, 1990. "An 'Expanded Equation' Approach to Weak-Exogeneity Tests in Structural Systems and a Monetary Application," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(1), pages 173-77, February.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1992.
"Why Exchange Rate Bands? Monetary Independence in Spite of Fixed Exchange Rates,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
742, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- E.O. Svensson, Lars, 1994. "Why exchange rate bands? : Monetary independence in spite of fixed exchange rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 157-199, February.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1992. "Why Exchange Rate Bands? Monetary Independence in Spite of Fixed Exchange Rates," Papers 521, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1992. "Why Exchange Rate Bands? Monetary Independence in Spite of Fixed Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 4207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fuhrer, Jeffrey C, 1996. "Monetary Policy Shifts and Long-Term Interest Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1183-1209, November.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1984.
"The Lucas Critique and the Volcker Deflation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 74(2), pages 211-15, May.
- Clarida, Richard & Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1997.
"Monetary Policy Rules in Practice: Some International Evidence,"
97-32, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Clarida, Richard & Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1998. "Monetary policy rules in practice Some international evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 1033-1067, June.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1997. "Monetary Policy Rules in Practice: Some International Evidence," NBER Working Papers 6254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1997. "Monetary Policy Rules in Practice: Some International Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 1750, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bryant, R.C. & Zhang, L., 1996.
"Intertemporal Fiscal Policy in Macro-Economic Models: Introduction and Major Alternatives,"
123, Brookings Institution - Working Papers.
- Ralph C. Bryant & Long Zhang, 1996. "Intertemporal Fiscal Policy in Macroeconomic Models: Introduction and Major Alternatives," Discussion Papers 123, Brookings Institution International Economics.
- Preston J. Miller & William Roberds, 1987.
"The quantitative significance of the Lucas critique,"
109, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Miller, Preston J & Roberds, William T, 1991. "The Quantitative Significance of the Lucas Critique," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(4), pages 361-87, October.
- David F. Hendry & Neil R. Ericsson, 1999.
"Encompassing and rational expectations: How sequential corroboration can imply refutation,"
Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 1-21.
- Neil R. Ericsson & David F. Hendry, 1989. "Encompassing and rational expectations: how sequential corroboration can imply refutation," International Finance Discussion Papers 354, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Laurence Ball, 1998.
"Policy Rules for Open Economies,"
RBA Research Discussion Papers
rdp9806, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Fischer, Andreas M & Peytrignet, Michel, 1991. "The Lucas Critique in Light of Swiss Monetary Policy," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 53(4), pages 481-93, November.
- Engle, R. & Hendry, D., 1990.
"Testing Super Exogeneity And Invariance In Regression Models,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99100, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert F. & Hendry, David F., 1993. "Testing superexogeneity and invariance in regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 119-139, March.
- Weber, Axel A., 1996. "Germany before and after unification: A structural VAR analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 575-601, October.
- Oliner, Stephen D. & Rudebusch, Glenn D. & Sichel, Daniel, 1996. "The Lucas critique revisited assessing the stability of empirical Euler equations for investment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 291-316, January.
- Taylor, John B., 1999.
"The robustness and efficiency of monetary policy rules as guidelines for interest rate setting by the European central bank,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 655-679, June.
- Taylor, John B., 1998. "The Robustness and Efficiency of Monetary Policy Rules as Guidelines for Interest Rate Setting by the European Central Bank," Seminar Papers 649, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Hendry, David F., 1995. "Dynamic Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283164, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:adr:anecst:y:2002:i:67-68:p:16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Gary-Bobo)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.