How Deep are the Deep Parameters?
Policy evaluation based on the estimation of dynamic stochastic general equilibrium models rests on the assumption that a representative agent can be identified, whose behavioural parameters are policy-independent. Building on earlier work by Geweke , this paper shows that in the presence of agents' heterogenity the representative agent, if any, is not structural, as its estimated behavioural parameters are not policy-independent. The paper identifies two sources of non-structurality and provides an example illustrating its effects.
Volume (Year): (2002)
Issue (Month): 67-68 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://annales.ensae.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sargent, Thomas J, 1981.
"Interpreting Economic Time Series,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(2), pages 213-48, April.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1982. "Policy Analysis with Econometric Models," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 13(1), pages 107-164.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent, 1979.
"Formulating and estimating dynamic linear rational expectations models,"
127, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Sargent, Thomas J., 1980. "Formulating and estimating dynamic linear rational expectations models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 7-46, May.
- Alan P. Kirman, 1992. "Whom or What Does the Representative Individual Represent?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(2), pages 117-136, Spring.
- Frank Hahn & Robert Solow, 1997. "A Critical Essay on Modern Macroeconomic Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026258154x, June.
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
- Malinvaud, Edmond, 1981. "Econometrics Faced with the Needs of Macroeconomic Policy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1363-75, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:adr:anecst:y:2002:i:67-68:p:09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Gary-Bobo)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.